How do you stop your toddler from hitting other kids?

My 17 month old daughter started hitting other kids eversince her older cousin who's 4 years old hit her. Now she's hitting other kids. How could I stop her? I've told her NO, don't hit, but I'm not sure she gets it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Redirect her. When she hits, take her hand and show her how to "pet" while saying "gentle, baby, be nice." You will have to be very consistant and it may take a while. We've been doing this with DD since she was about 9 months (when she started pulling on the dog's tail). For several months she has shown that she knows how to pet. Sometimes she gets excited and hits again, so we just redirect her: "Gentle, baby, niiiiiiiiice." And she usually complies.

Be sure to let any parents of kids you hang out with know that she is going through a hitting phase. It is better that they are forewarned, and can help keep a close eye on all the children.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:13 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• u should tell her that if she doesn't stop she needs to go into time-out. thats what i did with my son and it works. if he kept hitting after time-out, i put him to bed for a nap. it has always worked with my son.
    SpiderMama123

Answer by SpiderMama123 at 12:12 PM on Jan. 28, 2009