Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What can I do? Help!

I was wondering if there is assistance financially to get into a rental house? My husband just started into a new career and is at an entry level position. We have no money saved because he was laid- off for so long. We are at my in-laws right now, and need desperately to find our own place, but rental houses always want first and last plus a security deposit, ughhhhh!!!!! Oh, I have been looking for employment as well with no luck. We live in AZ .

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (4)
  • Have you tried a smaller apartment until you can have more money saved up?

    Answer by MamaChamp at 12:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

  • FlyMom07

    Answer by FlyMom07 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

  • I am not sure about where you are but here (close to dc) because the market is so bad places are being negotiable with security deposits. I have seen tons of ads on Craigs List where people are saying $99 Security deposit first month free. People are trying to avoid foreclosure and not have to pay 2 mortgages. There are even people buying apartment complexes and renting because so many people are being put out of homes due to foreclosure. I would try to see if you can find a place that may be negotiable. Not many places help with security deposits anymore.

    Answer by VaDivaMom at 12:47 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

  • What about HUD in your neighborhood? It is Housing and Urban Development or something like that. or I think. Here in Colorado the limit for a family of four is about 29K annually gross.

    Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:06 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.