Would you or have you named your child a name your SO didn't like?

I don't think its right to name your baby a name your SO doesn't like because it's his baby too. But i see women on baby name polls say "my husband doesn't like this name but...".

MamaChamp

Asked by MamaChamp at 12:29 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• The way my dh and I figured it, it took both of us to make the baby, we were both parents to the baby, and there are how many names in the world that we, as equals in parenting, can't find a single name that we both can live with?

We both came up with names that we liked, then we eliminated any names that the other didn't like, we played around with the ones we did, discussed why we liked what we liked, or didn't like what we didn't like, and named our babies together.

I think, to do otherwise, is really disrespectful to the father. After all, we all want our kids' Dads to step up to the plate and be there (emotionally, physically, financially) for our babies, right? So why do we want to alienate them and shove them out of the picture right off the bat?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:36 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• We split the naming of our last baby ( was the only one to name our first, but that's a long story & he likes it.). He got to choose the first & her middle name. We originally agreed on Laura Valentina, but my SIL named her dd Laura Maria Valentina 2 months before we had ours. In my pregnancy induced hormonal craze, I absolutely refused to name our dd Laura Valentina. So he decided on Guisella and I was stuck on either Hope or Isabela. He didn't care for either of them, and I didn't care for his choice. Our dd's name is Guisella Hope-Isabela. Neither of us liked it at first, but it's grown on us and has meaning. Neither of us would have her name any other way.
    3earthangels

Answer by 3earthangels at 12:54 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I wouldn't name my child a name DH didn't like. Seems unfair to the kid and also DH. We decided on 4 names before our first pregnancy. Mason, Liam and Bianca, Abigail. I had to fight tooth and nail for Abigail, finally got him when I told him that it meant father's joy. Mason was non-negotiable. Our first was a boy, Mason. With our second pregnancy I wanted to consider new names. DH did not! His point was that I picked Mason so he picked Abigail. Thankfully she was a girl because we were not set on a boy's name! lol With the 3rd pregnancy we still didn't know what we were having. He thought a boy, I thought a girl. We agreed that he would pick the boy name and I would pick the girl name. We both had to like the name though. I sat straight up when I saw that I had a little girl and was so excited, "It's a girl, my Madelyn!" Perfect!!!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:12 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My husband is just as much my son's parent as I am. It's important that we agree or can comprimise on decisions instead of one parent feeling left out. I wanted a boy named "Matthew." My husband is "Matthew William." I thought that would be great, "William" is my husband's dad's name. So my son would be named after his dad AND his grandfather. Then we could name our next son after my dad. Well, my husband didn't want to make our son a "JR." So we comprimised. My son's first name is "Matthew" (my husband's name and my favorite name) and "Raymond" is his middle name. It's one of the only other boy's names my husband liked and my grandfather's first name :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:29 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• i picked out the first name and he got the middle. the middle is his bff since pre k. there dads have also been friends since 1st grade! Nicholas Ryan is his friend but my exs name is Nicholas so i didnt want that.. so we picked Landon Ryan
    pinkanfgrl

Answer by pinkanfgrl at 3:07 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• no i woudnt our kids names were mutually agreed upon
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 3:49 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Besides, it hasn't been too long ago (historically speaking) that children "belonged" to the father, and THEY got to name the baby what THEY wanted, usually with the wife's input, but they didn't have to. I'm sure we, as women, wouldn't like to go back to it being like that - so don't we owe the men in our lives the same consideration we would want - input in naming the child we helped create?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• No, our boys' names are a compromise! It was tough, hubby wasn't thrilled with the name Jakob at first, but I reminded him that he pretty much got to choose our first son's name.... James Adam, after hubby and hubby's dad. So I wanted Jakob after my grandfather and since it had so much meaning for me, he agreed. I absolutey love the name Khloe for a girl, but hubby just hates it, so I won't be using it if we ever have a girl. We have agreed on Klaire, which I think is also beautiful.
    My2J.A.P.s

Answer by My2J.A.P.s at 7:10 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• we find out what we are having in 4 weeks and if its a boy we want to name him after our dads but if its a girl i still want to name her after his dad... TONY for a boy and TONI for a girl! he doesnt like it but ill work on him!
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 8:16 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Sort of. With our last my husband wouldn't give me any suggestions but shot down every single name I suggested. I got tired of it so when she was born I just named her whatever I want and told him to deal with it. I was the one that had to be in intense pain for the last 2 months with my hips popping in and out of the sockets with every step and my legs swelling so much I couldn't get socks or shoes on. He didn't want to help then, he didn't want to help pick a name when I wanted the help so screw him.
    In the end he grew to like the name and it fits her (she was named after my aunt and my mom).
    He helped with all the other kids' names but in the end always just told me to pick whatever I wanted anyway so I don't think he ever really cared except with our son...we went around and around with his middle name (I won in the end).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:28 AM on Jan. 28, 2009