Does anyone know how AF discharges really work?

My husband is in tech school in TX. Two days after he got there he passed out and fell and gave himself a concussion. They took him out of class and have been having him work CQ since Nov. So he got back from Christmas leave and received a letter of seperation due to medical. Basically he whined to his BAS Dr. because he wanted to be with me. So now he's trying to fix it. Or at least that is what he says. He's supposed to start classes again tomorrow. I don't think they would put him back in class after keeping him out for so long if they didn't think he was gonna stay. I mean, they kept him out of class for over a month because they didn't think he was gonna be ok enough to stay. Putting him back in class seems to me that he's improving enough for them to reconsider him staying.
Any help or opinions would be helpful. I'm just at my breaking point and I'm tired of crying over this.

airmanswife1006

Asked by airmanswife1006 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Being a wife of a military man as well as being in myself the complaining to his command is frowned upon. We were both Air Force and the discharge is a general DoD guide line. If he has medical issues it can not be decided based on a letter. There is a review board and a lengthly process. To help him out tell him how proud you are of the job he is doing, of the service that he provides to all Americans. He does not have to reenlist but it would be best if he finished up this enlistment. A discharge for mental health issues does not bode well in civilian work force. Have him talk to his buddies not his chain of command. His tech school in TX will be over soon enough and you will be together. The air force does take care of its families as does any branch of the military. Military life was great for my family.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:21 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Did he go through a medical board to determine if he will be discharged from the military? I am former navy and never heard of anyone getting discharged by a mere letter alone. If he is going back to class, he is probably not being discharged. He could have a letter from the BAS, but the higher ups in a medical board would have final say. He would continue doing whatever CQ is until his discharge date. The military won't waste money sending him through school with risk of him not finishing. It's a lengthy process to get a medical separation, sometimes it takes months. I hope it helped..But if he is whining to a Dr, and not really sick, he is malingering and that is punishable under the UCMJ.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• i don't know who you are hun, but i needed that laugh. When I went to Lackland for his basic graduation he kept telling me that they make jokes abou the UCMJ all the time. And I read that and it made me laugh thinking of him.
    He's not whining about his physical stuff, he's whining about wanting to go home and wanting to be with me. But thank you. I needed that.
    airmanswife1006

Answer by airmanswife1006 at 1:21 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Well for one he needs to quit whining. Medical boards can take up to at least a year. They cannot do it with just a sheet of paper. Was he actually diagnosed with anything? He really does not want to get discharged for mental health reasons. If he is smart he will shut up and finish his class. If he actually had an illness or mental health issues before he joined and did not claim it they can get him for fraudulent enlistment.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 1:49 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I have to agree with what the first poster said. While the different branches will call the different steps by different names, things like medical discharges and stuff are pretty much a DoD thing, not a branch specific thing. They can't kick him out for medical reasons without doing a medical review board, and that's not done by his chain of command, that's done by medical.

BUT - if they've sent him back to class, then they've probably determined that he's NOT going to be medically discharged.

cont

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:53 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• cont

However, the whining about missing you and everything, coupled with the medical stuff, is NOT going to help him. Basically, if he becomes too much of a problem over it, always in there complaining about it, always raising a stink over being apart, griping to his chain about it sort of thing, then, that combined with the medical stuff, coupled with the fact that he is still very new in the military, but they could discharge him under a section called Failure to Adapt. (it's NOT common, but it does happen). Basically, if they decide at this early stage that he's going to be too much of a pita to keep in, because he's always in there complaining, having problems, not adjusting, etc, they could decide military life isn't for him and discharge him.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:56 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Again - this is NOT a common discharge, nor is it easy to get (for anyone who decides they made a mistake and want to try to get discharged that way). Nor is it a pleasant process, and you can only get it within so long of enlisting. I knew a guy yrs ago that was in A school with me (the Navy name for your specialized training after boot camp), and he was discharged in this way.

Here's a link that talks about it -

http://www.objector.org/helpingout/Helpingoutchapters/07_Entry_Level%20_Performance.pdf

I would suggest, for his sake, that he try to limit his complaints about missing you, etc to his buddies and not to his chain.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:59 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• btw - this is not to say that he can't talk about his feelings, but there are ways and times to do it. I would suggest he keep his griping about missing you for his buddies, and, if needed, request an appointment with the Chaplain's Office. (even if he's not religious, they provide counseling)

Otherwise, especially this early into it, his medical problems coupled with his complaints could bite him in the butt.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:19 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• When I was a senior in HS I had a boyfriend in the Marine corps. He got discharged for "psych" reasons. It took well over a year. In the mean time he was put on some menial job, guarding a gym I think. This was not during war time though. It was in 1998. I don't know how things are different now.

PS the quotations on the word psych are not meant to indicate anything negative about legitimate psych issues that keep soldiers from doing their jobs or, in some cases, functioning in their civilian lives. It is meant to denote that this one particular idiot that I dated decided that he didn't like the Marines after all and got himself a dishonerable discharge by saying he was crazy, buddhist, and communist!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorderlyroom/l/blmedstandards.htm

Also, if you [the spouse] contact family support (even where he is going to tech school) they may be able to help lead you in the direction to answer your questions.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2009