Anyone ever try reusable menstrual pads?

and by that, I mean washable. Not dig up the old ones from last month because you're a little short on money. Gross.

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 12:46 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Hell to the NO!, I can barely roll them up and wrap them let alone see it again clots and all! ewwww!. I don't want all the blood running through my washer every month. It sounds way to 1950's to me, my mom had to deal with that and the pins and such.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:11 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• never heard of them
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 12:47 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• LOL :) sorry had to laugh at that last part... especially if people are that stupid they need that warning :o)

I'm no help to your real question though
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I had a friend that loved them. dont know much about them though.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:54 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• since the disposable kind make my skin very irritable - the doctor suggested that i buy these.. think she called them Glad Rags.
    the expensive of buying them, plus the having to wash them out.. just didn't work out for me.
    It's bad enough to have to deal with having a cycle every month... but i really don't want to have to have a pad wash it out and use it again..
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 12:58 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• ive tried them, the body shop has had theirs out on the market since the early 90's and let me tell you, they arent that bad.. i mean, if you can tollerate it, some women just cant cope with not only their own cycles, but having to rinse and wash them.. but you know, for me, they worked... i have mirena, so i hardly need anything more than a few sheets of toilet paper... but i use to keep them in my backpack.. when i would go on long treks they came in handy, cause you just cant litter, but you sure can heat some water and wash them..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• No I've never used them but I imagine they would stain? I wouldn't want to reuse blood stained pad...I don't even do it with underwear!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Unfortunately, yes. *shudder* This was years ago when I was growing up and was told I had to use the 'natural' stuff. I didn't have any like that though, I had to make my own out of those baby colth diaper things. Would cut and/or fold them over and sew them together. I HATE HATE HATED them. Rubbed me raw till I bled. Oh, and I didn't have a washing machine at the time, it was called the creek +boiling water (if lucky) x ubber scrubbing. Yea, what fun. They are the reason why I hate pads and will only use tampons.

continued next post.....
    LostRogue

Answer by LostRogue at 2:30 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My bad experience aside, unless you have really light periods, I would really suggest staying away from them and if you are heavy, DO NOT CONSIDER using them. Now if you DO decide to use them, let me give you some advise. 1. soak in cold water for awhile, up to a day if you are lazy like I was with it, then ring/spin 2. wash with the hottest water possible, boiling is very good 3. make sure you use detergent that won't irritate and if you do use bleach, wash/rince till you lose count. A great suggestion to use instead of bleach is called blueing (may not be spelled like that, that is how it is said) and ONLY USE A DROP OR 2, or they will be blue.

Hope that helps!
    LostRogue

• LOL No, but you made me laugh! :)
    HMHUTSON

Answer by HMHUTSON at 2:37 AM on Jan. 28, 2009