someone please help!! my 5 month old only eats about 20 oz of formula max a day.

is this normal? i can't get her to take any more. i've changed nipples and it doesn't matter. all my doc says is to try to make her eat more. yeah right, she just spits it out. she is eating baby food, i am just so worried i don't know what to do...

jaime4peta

Asked by jaime4peta at 12:48 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• as long as she is gaining weight i wouldn't be concerned.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 12:53 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Well I think its up to the baby does your baby look healthy then its fine my 3 month old eats about 16oz a day and everyone says she should eat more but I also think when she is ready to eat then they will let you know!! Try baby food!!!
    KristinLace

Answer by KristinLace at 12:53 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• As long as she's not losing weight then it's fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• if your giving her baby food she should be fine. my son also 5 months eats around 20-30 ounces of formula a day depending on how much baby food we give him. we dont make him eat it if he doesnt want to. he is a good weight so the doc says its fine.
    stephmiester87

Answer by stephmiester87 at 1:03 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• she has a tiny tummy she could be full. I agree with the other moms who said that if she's gaining weight she's fine.
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 1:05 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• my daughter ate about that and the doctors would never say anything about her size until they found out how much she ate so as long as the baby is growing well.
    lmaines22

Answer by lmaines22 at 1:57 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• If she's gaining weight, you are fine..yes. However, if the doctor wants her to have more formula, the best way to do that is stop or cut back on the baby food. Baby food is for practice really...there isn't much nutrition in it especially in the small amounts babies eat.

Even when we started introducing finger and table foods at 6 months our pediatrician didn't want us to let their formula intake drop below 20-24oz per day......
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:04 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• LOL! Welcome to my world of frusteration! My almost 8 month old has been doing that since he was 3 months old. He is gaining weight however not as much as most babies. I feel like a total failure when I cant get my DS to eat 30oz a day which my pedi said he should be eating. He does eat baby food 2-3 times a day but not too much to make him full. Just a few small bites. He was eating only 20oz of formula before we started solids too. I have also tried EVERYTHING and nothing has worked. I waste sooo much formula every day because of this. Every one says wait until he cries for food and he will eat, however he never cries for food. I wish I had a suggestion for you but I do not just wanted to let you know you are not alone. If you find the trick that works PLEASE let me know.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 8:43 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My women infants children nutritionist says I need to feed her less formula and more breast milk when I told her my daughter golfs down 3 to 4 8oz bottles of formula and doesn't drink much breast milk anymore...but I als feed her baby food...morning whe we wake up I feed my baby breastmilk...then a few minutes later I feed her baby cereal...Afternoon.it's bottle of formula..then breast milk again....then at nite I feed her baby food for dnner and another bottle..then before we go to bed I feed my breast mik again...Bu if she tellsyou to feed her more formula or food at all the it's ok to do so.....
    babylover08417

Answer by babylover08417 at 9:01 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My daughter is the same way. Once she saw baby cereal and food- she doesn't want to be bothered with a bottle. She drinks about 20-22 oz. per day. So I add formula powder to things. I had a scoop of powder to her cereal, then the cereal, then water and mix it. At least she is getting the nutrients from the formula.
    Anonymous