What should my 17 month old be learning?

My first child and I'm worried that im not teaching him the right things. He shows some interest in wanting to learn but im just not sure what and how to teach him. My nephews knew his shapes and colors by 18 months, so im worried. Please let me know any ideas. Also if anyone is in my area: San Jose, CA, I was wondering if there are any schools that I can attend with my son. That way he interacts with other kids. Since he's the only child at the time, he doesnt really spend much time with other kids.

smedina

Asked by smedina at 12:51 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we've taught our daughter body parts ( like nose, mouth, hands, feet, etc) we're working on colors and shapes now. She's 18 months.

why pay for school for him to interact with kids? go to the park or join a play group.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• ~teaching them simple songs
    ~hold them and read simple stories to them
    ~teach them how to do and use simple one steep direction
    ~have them try to put on there own shoes
    ~pointing to thing you name
    ~bring things to show you
    ~imitate your behavior
    ~showing interest in other children
    ~pointing to things across the room
    I HAVE A TINY WHEEL THAT SAYS THIS STUFF SO HOPE IT HELPS!!!!
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 12:59 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My sixteen month DD loves to watch Dora the Explorer & Deigo. I have to admit it with me being a full time student in college, having a full time job and being a full time mother, she has learned a tramendous amount of information with watching those two shows. I have been told that allowing your children to watch television for large amounts of time is a horrible habit to start, but in this case it has benifited us.
    leighannarobey

Answer by leighannarobey at 5:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2009