Two Gay Christians debate whether or not homosexuals should marry or lead a life of celebacy

Not a question, just posting for anyone who's interested -

When it comes to gay Christians, there's one question that causes more debate than any other:  Does God bless gay relationships?  Or are gay Christians called to lifelong celibacy?

At GCN, we have members on both sides of this "great debate," and some who just aren't sure.  And though this issue is hotly debated among Christians worldwide, we've decided not to debate it here.  However, in the interest of discussion and dialogue about this very important subject, two of our members have written opposing essays expressing their very different points of view.

On "Side A" is Justin's essay; Justin believes that God blesses same-sex marriages.

On "Side B" is Ron's essay; Ron believes that God calls gay Christians to lifelong celibacy.

Both Justin and Ron are gay Christians, but they have very different views about sex, relationships, and the Bible.  Whether you agree with Justin or with Ron (or perhaps with neither!), you can feel welcome here.

But how is it possible for Christians with such differing views to live together in community?  Just ask Tony and Peggy Campolo.  Tony is a well-known Baptist minister who believes (as Ron does) that homosexual relationships are forbidden in the Bible.  His wife Peggy disagrees, and supports her gay friends and their marriages.  You can listen to Tony and Peggy talk about how they deal with it by clicking here.

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 1:26 PM on May. 12, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I am so sick of seeing all this GAY crap and I am GAY!
    Anonymous

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it to you, but it's an election year. If you don't want to see mention of the issues the president and his opponents are discussing, you probably should turn your computer, tv, and radio off for the next 9-10 months.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:41 PM on May. 12, 2012

• nah, I am just sick of seeing it all here, the stupid polls etc.
    Anonymous

• Dontcha know Anon- some people will never be fully happy until every aspect of human sexuality is completely controlled by the government :)
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 3:34 PM on May. 12, 2012

• Why would any God want a human of his creating to be alone? and never share on life's simple pleasures?

What would have been his purpose, emotional turmoil? discrimination?

Answer by older at 3:41 PM on May. 12, 2012

• One thing I did find interesting in the celibacy argument. He bends over backwards for several paragraphs, stressing that he is sharing his own experience, and is absolutely not judging any gay person who disagrees with him, or insisting that they all need to follow the same road he does. He presents all of that as how his very lengthy examination led him to make a conclusion for himself.

I wonder how much harder it is for him knowing that most who share that opinion of what the scripture tells him, can't seem able to stop at interpreting it for themselves. We've seen here, and we've seen elsewhere, comments that because the Bible says x,y,z, ALL Christians must live by (whatever conclusion the speaker has drawn from x,y,z). How many times will quotes from his essay be latched onto, while intentionally omitting the whole section about "called to testify, not judge".
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:41 PM on May. 12, 2012

• Why would any God want a human of his creating to be alone?
    -
    What about single heterosexuals? The Bible says that God has chosen some to be single and there is great blessing in it. Are you telling me that God was wrong in creating a heterosexual person to be single?
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 3:44 PM on May. 12, 2012

• – collapse

I'm sick of seeing and hearing about Gays! It's wrong!

Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 4:10 PM on May. 12, 2012 (hidden) + expand

• The Bible says that God has chosen some to be single and there is great blessing in it. Are you telling me that God was wrong in creating a heterosexual person to be single?
    God created humans to need each other to keep each other company to satisfy their needs to share love, to share intimacy, you can be single as in not married and still experience all of this (heterosexuals) but homosexuals should be excluded from all of this? why? they want the same things out of life that most of us want, why this chosen section of the population, because they are attracted to the same sex, that automatically excludes them from wanting and having what others do? God made them this way for reason and only he knows what that is.....but it was not certainly to deprive them from loving and being loved.

Answer by older at 4:26 PM on May. 12, 2012

• this chosen section of the population
    --
    Actually I think the "chosen" section would be those God has called to be married, which as you have agreed, does not even apply to all heterosexuals. I don't think homosexuals are being specifically excluded, but rather that certain heterosexuals are being included. Why exactly, I don't know. But if not even all heterosexuals are called to marry, then why should any homosexuals be called to marry?
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 4:29 PM on May. 12, 2012