The best way to celebrate Mother's Day is to have nothing to do with your kids?

I've been noticing a trend on that Mother's Day gift showdown they've been running at the top of the page (the bit on the top banner that says Mother's Day with the red roses, if you've never noticed). Routinely, the options that win the votes have been for activities or gifts that exclude the children.

As it is, the people who designed it only included 3 (possibly 4, depending how you look at it) options that include kids at all. All of them were voted down by huge margins as soon as they were paired up against anything that didn't involve kids.

Is this really how people think Mother's Day should be - ditch the kids and run off on your own, or with your husband and stick them with a sitter, for the night, all day, or the entire weekend?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:16 PM on May. 12, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• I know people who would send their kids to me if I would take them on Mothers Day but no, I feel that Mothers Day should be with your children ESPECIALLY if they live at home. I might ask for an hour to nap or something but I want my kids with me if possible.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 2:27 PM on May. 12, 2012

• Yeah, I don't get that either! My kids are spending the night with Nana tonight, but I told her I want them back by noon at the latest. I miss them during the week, I don't like when they are busy on the weekends too... especially Mother's day. That's my day to spend with the kids ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:27 PM on May. 12, 2012

• I didn't ever want to do something without my kids on Mother's Day. What's up with that? LOL.
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 2:30 PM on May. 12, 2012

• well honestly i would really love 1 day, just 1 day that i didnt spend all day playing refferee, maid, and cook, 1 day that i could sleep in past 7:30 and take a crap without one or both of my kids are calling my name through the door. i spend EVERY day taking care of my kids, and i dont complain about it. if i'm not at work i am with them and there are NO exceptions. everysingle free minute i have is with them, i havent been out to do anything for me in at least 2 years because i have them and if i dont have them its because their father has them and i still dont have money for me because i am trying to make sure my kids will have clothes when they get back because their father "loses" almost all their clothes everytime they go there so when they get back i have to by both of them a whole new wardrobe.. I hate mothers day...i feel that its the exact same as every day for me, why celebrate a normal no different day?
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 2:31 PM on May. 12, 2012

• Mothers Day is about bein gappeciated by your family ( children ), not about being without them. IF you want a day alone fine- celebrate MD with them and tell them their gift to you is that next saturday you are not cooking, cleaning or anything. You are getting a sitter and spending the day pampering yourself even if it means eating a pint of icecream and soaking in the tub with the music blarring.

Every year at Christmas I am given a free pass for a day to do whatever I want too and I wait until I truly need a mental health day and then I use it.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 2:39 PM on May. 12, 2012

• I WOULD LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE TIME OFF.

in the form of a gift card for next weekend... or a weekend down the road. Spend tomorrow with the family and get a gift card to the spa for another day.

HELL YEAH!
    Anonymous

• you know its ALOT easier to say "i'm getting a babysitter" then getting one, seeing as the cheapest good babysitter i know charges like an entire days salary and i dont have any money left over from my checks after i pay all my bills and the daycare to boot.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 2:49 PM on May. 12, 2012

• Mine are 28 and 23 and I still can't get away without them very easily.... LOL!!

I have to sneak out....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:54 PM on May. 12, 2012

• i look forward to the Mothers Days when i will get little handmade gifts or even a "we love you mom!"...imo THATS what Mothers Day is about. not so much me getting a break from motherhood, but being recognized for the crap i deal with every single day. and even tho i spend all day every day w/ my kids (SAHM) i dont want to be away from them on MD...i just want them to behave and show me a little love! and DH to put a little more effort into parenting so i can slack off a little bit haha.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:59 PM on May. 12, 2012

• In all honesty, I'm thinking the ideas were about gifts that the mother is receiving... Not what she should do on that day???? I think the idea of those items as gifts are great.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:10 PM on May. 12, 2012