What is a high fever in a 9 month old

My dd has a fever she was throwing up yesterday, but no fever and now today she has diarrhea and has a fever it was 101.6 and now it is 102.7 I have been giving her tylenol which didn't bring it down. So I am waiting for dh to get back with the motrin I am going to try to give her to see if that helps. A cool bath didn't even work. Also I been giving her gatorade to keep her hydrated is that fine? Or do I have to use the phydialite?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on May. 12, 2012 in Kids' Health

• A child’s behavior and activity level are more important clues to the severity of illness. A 6 month old who is playing and happy with a temperature of 103 would be less concerning than a 9 month old with a 101 temp who is listless and lethargic. A fever has to be quite high (generally felt to be greater than 106) for the fever itself to be harmful.

Other symptoms, such as rash, trouble breathing, lethargy, or other indications of a sick-looking child should prompt a call to your physician or visit to the ER. Fevers over 104 degrees, or any fever lasting more than 3 days should prompt a call to your physician to help assess for the need for a visit.

http://www.pkids.org/families/articles/fevers.html
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:06 PM on May. 12, 2012

• Probably a tummy virus. Try titrating doses of motrin and tylenol every 4 hours until the fever is controlled. Give a dose of Tylenol then in 4hrs give motrin then 4hrs tylenol etc try that for 1 day. It should get the fever down then you can switch to motrin every 6hrs as needed to keep it 99-100ish. If her fever doesn't respond to that, plus cooling measures or goes over 103.5, call your ped office someone should be on call and they can tell you if she needs to go in earlier than Monday. Most of the time these viruses will clear up in 24-72 hours. Just make sure she's getting fluids. Pedialyte is better than gatorade because the electrolyte needs are diff for babies than adults. If she gets lethargic or can't hold down any fluids then take her to ER for a check. Temp above 103 not reponsive to meds is when I would take her to ER or after hours clinic. Just tiny sips of fluids every few minutes till it stays down or icechips.
    LBoogie0617

Answer by LBoogie0617 at 4:31 PM on May. 12, 2012

• When in doubt, call a nurse line. I've called a couple times and they've always helped me. Also, I would her pedialyte, not gatorade.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 6:35 PM on May. 12, 2012

• have tried motrin instead of tylenol..have u tried the BRAT method yet
    B-bread
    R-rice
    A-applesauce
    T-toast
    LumpyPrincess

Answer by LumpyPrincess at 7:37 PM on May. 12, 2012

• yes I have tried the motrin since writing this and the motrin has helped her temp is down to 99.4 now I have not tried the brats diet yet because she has been sleeping most of the day only wakes when she needs her diaper changed. She has been taking her formula bottles though so I been giving them to her. She hasn't throwen up since yesterday she just has the diarrhea today, the fever and sleeping. I have only been giving her only 4oz of formula though rather than 6 or 8 oz that she normally takes
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:11 PM on May. 12, 2012

• go to the emergency room! remove her socks & go now! good lord!
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:41 PM on May. 12, 2012

• mandielynn...I have been to the ER before when she had a fever of 102 at 7 weeks old and I know all they are going to do is give her tylenol and if it brings it down send us home. And she has no socks on only a diaper and shirt
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:05 PM on May. 12, 2012