Kind of an odd question...

If im breast feeding and I eat a lot of ice cream, can that give my baby an overload on lactose?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• In my experience everything you eat can affect the baby. babies cant digest the large proteins in cows milk and thats why they get a tummy ache.
    sweetdarm

Answer by sweetdarm at 2:23 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I think it depends on the baby. Some mothers over indulge in anything and their baby is OKAY and then others have one cup of coffee and their child is in Gas City. I for example drank so much pepsi it was redicoulse and I had so much milk that my duaghter drank 8oz from one breast then I had to pump the remaing 1 oz from that breast plus 7 to 8 oz from my left breast. I had so much milk I constantly got plugged milk ducts becauser my daughter would eat to her heart's content and I would get lazy then go to sleep instead of pumping and end up with another plugged duct. So if your baby seems fine don't stress it
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 2:28 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I agree it depends on the baby. Neither of my girls could tolerate is I ate pineapple. About the ice cream - you digest it before using the contents in your milk, so most things are ok to eat for most moms.
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 6:16 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I agree...I also like to eat alot of ice cream...when I eat it that is....But sometimes I also like to blend it in a blender with milk and make milk shakes for myself andmy mom...She helps me raise my daughter...her dad chose to not be with me before she was born....But his loss...So it definently depends on your baby.
    babylover08417

Answer by babylover08417 at 8:53 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Yes it depends on the baby, but the cows milk protein does come through your breast milk. My baby is allergic to cows milk so I can't have anything that has any hint of it. So your baby should be fine unless they're sensitive to it- which is totally possible.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 9:53 AM on Jan. 28, 2009