why is this allowed to happen?

i work in a kmart and one of my last customers got really mad because her stuff didnt ring up at what the clearence price was and i wasnt paying attention to the price of her stuff. when i told her that the total was $20 she didnt say anything until the sale went through. then she started yelling and screaming that i  charged her the wrong price and how dare i not fix it and being really awful to be.  why is it allowed that we can say what we want but if you work in a store you have to let customers yell and scream at you and you cant say anything without getting in trouble? why do people think that its ok to treat people so meanly?

lmaines22

Asked by lmaines22 at 1:51 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• i have no idea, but i know how you feel. i work in retail too!
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:00 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I work in food service, I hear you! I had someone yell at me today because we charged extra for extra cheese. It was literally a quarter more.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:04 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Because some people are just unhappy, rude and disrespectful. The saying the customer is always right make it hard for those servicing a rude customer. I think its wrong when they start to be rude. At one job I worked at when people did that our boss would still uphold the customer is always right but at the same time she would point out that there is no need to be rude and disrespectful to the person servicing you as they are being courteous to you.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 2:25 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Years ago I worked for a manager that told us we could tell customers, "I get paid to help you, not to take abuse from you. Let's keep this professional and see what can be done to make the situation right." Or something similar. I've used that sentence in years after wards - I did collections and repossessions... I got some pretty angry and upset people from time to time.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 5:44 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• it is not okay for customers to do that, but when you are working you are not yourself, you are a rep for the stoe, so you act how they tell you, and tht means not saying anything. the woman was probablly doing some kind of scam. dont let her.
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 6:20 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• That's why I got out of retail...I hated having to listen to people be so rude and mean and not be allowed to tell them to shove it. As to the not saying anything until she paid, I have to say, there are times (and I don't know that this is what happened) when I have my kids with me or I am otherwise distracted and I *think* something rang up wrong, but can't be sure until I get my receipt and look at it. So, *maybe* that's what she was doing. Even so, though, she should have been a lot nicer about it. I always try to be nice to cashiers, etc., unless they get rude with me. I know they put up with a lot of crap, so I try not to be another voodoo doll in their closet. lol
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:57 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• It isn't right. She should have been paying closer attention as you rang up the items and gently corrected you when they rang up wrong. No one should have to accept harrassment from anyone else. In the future (because it will happen again), contact your manager immediately and let him or her deal with the angry person.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:21 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Ugh i work a Front Desk at a lodge i totally know how you feel! :)
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 8:15 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• i work in a similar field and people for some reason think that if you are in a service field they can treat you however they wish. they wouldn't talk to their neighbor that way, or anybody else but if you are in a service field they think you are like a slave and can treat you however. it sucks. i wish that for once we could say 'security' and they would be removed for inappropriate behaviour then maybe people would stop that nonsense.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Always be aware that there are people out there in the public who appear normal UNTIL they "feel wronged" , then they let you know how unstable they really are. Just right this off as dealing with a person with emotional and probably mental problems. They will always be there. So sorry. I also deal with the public. I do their taxes and when they don't get their EIC, they jump up and accuse me of doing something to their tax prep! Ironically, I can almost, every time look back into the information they gave me and find somewhere where they waivered and were prob. lying to get more EIC. At the same time, ironically, the computer does my math for me, so I can't make their "refund" be different. They people get really really rude and it causes alot of stress in the office. If someone gets really loud, we ask them to leave and say we will call the police.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:42 AM on Jan. 28, 2009