Seriously, they did a study!

The government commissioned a study to study the cost of all the studies.  (Can you say that 5 times fast??)

This Is Not a Joke: Government Issues Study of a Study About Studies

The Pentagon was inundated with so many studies in 2010 that it commissioned a study to determine how much it cost to produce all those studies.

Now the Government Accountability Office has reviewed the Pentagon’s study and concluded in a report this week that it’s a flop.

The study of a study of studies began in 2010 when Defense Secretary Robert Gates complained that his department was “awash in taskings for reports and studies.” He wanted to know how much they cost.

Two years later, the Pentagon review is still continuing, which prompted Congress to ask the GAO to look over the Pentagon’s shoulder. What they found lacked military precision.

The GAO found only nine studies that had been scrutinized by the Pentagon review, but the military was unable to “readily retrieve documentation” for six of  the reports.

The Department of Defense’s “approach is not fully consistent with relevant cost estimating best practices and cost accounting standards,” the GAO concluded. In fact, they often did not include items like manpower, the report found.

The Pentagon “partially concurs” with the GAO’s report.

The cost of the study of the study of the studies was not available from the GAO.

source

All I can say is                         banging head into wall  

29again

Asked by 29again at 12:56 AM on May. 13, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• That runs up there with the our govt spending $175,587 to determine if cocaine makes Japanese quail engage in sexually risky behavior... All of this crazy spending is going to get us into a massive amount of trouble eventually. Already, on a per capita basis the U.S. national debt is worse than the national debts of Greece, Italy, Ireland, Portugal and Spain.

This a part of a post I did the other day on crazy govt spending...so if you band your head on this, read this...

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/1192188/Did_anyone_know_what_the_money_Obama_is_spending_is_going_towards?cat_id=&order=&next=11

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:02 AM on May. 13, 2012

• Maybe they can do a study about not beating around the bush and actually do some real work.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:05 AM on May. 13, 2012

• "The government commissioned a study to study the cost of all the studies...."OP
    Yup, this will be the new phase you will have to speak when you are pulled over by a cop to see if you are drunk. If you can you are sober, you can't off to jail you go. Or visa versa
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:06 AM on May. 13, 2012

• I'd fail and I don't even drink. Throw in a few czars and I'm going away for life.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:07 AM on May. 13, 2012

• I'd fail and I don't even drink. Throw in a few czars and I'm going away for life. Answer by Izsarejman

Me too! It took me three tries to even TYPE it correctly!!
    29again

Comment by 29again (original poster) at 1:18 AM on May. 13, 2012

• This a part of a post I did the other day on crazy govt spending...so if you band your head on this, read this...

Oh, I read it. Not sure if I responded, but I sure did read it. And it is just sickening what they spend our money on. They ALL need fired, whoever said "OK, that sounds like a great thing to find out!! Go for it!" And as for the brilliant ones who thought that these kind of studies are so worthwhile, well, they need to pull their heads out of their nether regions and come up with studies that really matter at the end of the day! I am assuming that these studies are done as part of some college/university degree or something like that. If so, they really need help. If not, these people need a hobby, desperately!
    29again

Comment by 29again (original poster) at 1:25 AM on May. 13, 2012

• Good grief ... I take it none of them has ever heard of 'google'?

I think that if someone in the gov't. can't live without the answer to a question, and can't find it on google, they should have to pay someone to research the answer out of all that money they get paid (and obviously aren't earning).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:53 AM on May. 13, 2012

• This sounds like something that should have been in The Onion and/or The Free Wood Post. In fact, I thought that was where it was from at first until I saw the link.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 7:42 AM on May. 13, 2012

• LMAO....I'm loving this.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:47 AM on May. 13, 2012

• OMG, I totally had this idea a long time ago! I feel cheated. I should have applied for a grant.

Seriously though, wouldn't a simple spreadsheet be able to help one keep track of how much money is actually spent on studies?  I know it wouldn't determine effectiveness or legitimacy of certain studies, but at least they would know how much was being spent.  

Sadly, I am so totally not surprised about this at all.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:24 PM on May. 13, 2012