Is it too much?

Everyday after my 6 month old gets dinner I play with flashcards with him. They are really simple, just colors. I hold them up and say the color and point to it. We go through the deck twice. My husband saw me doing it the other day and told me I was weird because he's too young to learn that. It's not like I expect him to all of a sudden blurt out the color to me I just figured that maybe if he gets used to it a little now, it will be easier for him later. I dunno...am I crazy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no ur not that sound like a good idea a little one on one and some fun time too even if he does not get it at all it seems fun
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 2:30 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• lol, no you arent crazy. It's pretty much the same as reading to him, obviously you dont expect him to read the book tomorrow night but it's still good for him. Keep it up! =)
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• He isn't too young to learn, but he's going to learn better (and have more fun) if you just do it through play.

When you're playing with his toys, label, label, label and read, read, read. It's not just a ball, it's a green ball...it's not just a block, it's the block with the blue A on it. We just always did it with our boys and by the time they were talking they shocked the heck out of us with what they knew!

Nothing wrong with flash cards...don't get me wrong...I'm currently reading Einstein Never Used Flash Cards...look into it.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:01 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with that.
    This is how your child will develop, through play and watching and observing the enviorment around him. Teaching a child at a young age is only allowing them to develop their senses and learn what is around them. Every word you speak and action you do, your child observes and learns from this.
    TR3boysand1girl

Answer by TR3boysand1girl at 7:24 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• No you aren't crazy....I am always seeing these your baby can read commercials and they have babies that are only 3months old point at pictures or colors their momsread to them..I say keep it up....And hey even try to get your husband in on it....
    babylover08417

Answer by babylover08417 at 8:49 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Babies start understanding before they start talking, so while your little one isn't yelling out the color, it doesn't mean he isn't getting anything out of it. Plus getting in the habit of "studying" is a good thing. I mean we read to our babies from the day they come home from the hospital, why not teach them colors, numbers, letters, etc.?
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 9:51 AM on Jan. 28, 2009