Should I let our 6 y/o in our bed after having a bad dream?

Lately, my 6 y/o son has been waking up in the middle of the night and says he has had a bad dream. He then wants to crawl in bed with us. I have tried telling him to go on back to bed, but he just acts scared. I feel really bad for him because he says he just wants to be with us. Should I let him get in bed with us when he is scared, or should I make him go back to bed?

Nicollynne

Asked by Nicollynne at 4:30 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Aw, go on - let him snuggle up while he still wants to, because before you know it he'll be an independant little dude who wants anything but to be snuggled up with mom - sooo uncool.

You will never look back at your parenting choices in later years and say "Damn - I wish I hadn't let him come sleep in our bed so often..."

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 8:33 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• WHY NOT, IT WON'T HURT A DARN THING......WHEN YOU ARE SCARED DON'T YOU WANT COMFORTED????
    40yrmom

Answer by 40yrmom at 9:48 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I remember as a kid when I had bad dreams crawling in bed with my parents. Didn't do me any harm. I usually let my daughter crawl into to bed with us too - she has asked to sleep with us for no reason & I won't let her...but if she just woke up & couldn't go back to sleep, what's the harm? Ladysavage is right - they grow way too quick! Enjoy it while it last!!
    candiboo

Answer by candiboo at 11:26 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I'd let him come on in...I love snuggling with my 5 year old anyway! lol. I'd feel aweful if I made him go back into his bed knowing that he was that afraid.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 12:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• What I have done in the past when my six year old has woken up scared from a dream, is to snuggle with him in his room. I also have resorted to "waving my magic wand to ward off bad dreams." I also agree with NJMom2 tyler and Ladysavage, cherish the time because they grow up so fast. good luck:)
    cjsmom734

Answer by cjsmom734 at 1:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I 've never let him go back. Next day I talk to him about his dream. I agree 40yearsmom. Everybody wants comforted.
    Anonymous

• I remember being a kid and pounding on my moms door scared to death. She would just ignore me and I totally thought freddy was going to kill me. My parents didn't have a concept of whats appropriate tv for kids. My DH is against the kids cuddeling up with us (wonder why) he says it will become a habit. So I plan on going back to sleep in their room.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:13 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• It is hard, once the habit is set, to get them out of your bed. Mine fortunately have not asked to sleep with us yet, but when my youngest woke up after a scary dream she was afraid to leave her bed and I heard her crying (by the way- scooby doo did it) so I got up, I hugged her and rocked her until she calmed down and tucked her in all safe. had to check under the bed for her, and then she laid back down fine. she is only 4.
    If you or your husband really do not want to share your bed (totally understandable) i would go to his bed with him- wait til he falls asleep or fall asleep with him like the poster above me said. do what makes you and your son comfortable.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 3:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2009