Can you really get pregnant with an IUD? adult content

Had it since feburary and my first few periods were normal. I bleed a few days longer but my last periodwas only spotting that lasted a few days. I wouldn't worry if I didn't have a few drops of blood Monday and Tuesday in the morning only but that was it. And also my breasts are swollen and the hurt real bad and my nipples also hurt bad and are erect. I did a urine pregnancy test at the lab through my doctors office but came out negative but I'm still worried.. should I be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on May. 13, 2012 in Health

• The odds are like 99.9% you are not pregnant.
    iwicked

Answer by iwicked at 7:31 PM on May. 13, 2012

• You can get pregnant but it is rare. You can also stop having your period, some people just spot and some don't have anything. You might still get symptoms of your period though.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:32 PM on May. 13, 2012

• I have an IUD I do not get a period anymore. maybe spotting one and awhile. I do get some symptoms here and there like swore breast and cramping
    Blessed_mom1102

Answer by Blessed_mom1102 at 7:33 PM on May. 13, 2012

• once
    Blessed_mom1102

Answer by Blessed_mom1102 at 7:34 PM on May. 13, 2012

• What kind of IUD do you have? The Mirena makes a lot of women stop having a period at all, while the Paraguard usually makes bleeding heavier. There's a 1 in 1000 chance you're pregnant. It's possible but highly unlikely.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:43 PM on May. 13, 2012

• you can but it is very unlikely my doctor told me that you usually dont get your period on it it will slow down then stop like the shot. your doctor should have told you that or given you a pamphlet all about the IUD so you dont worry about stuff like this...
    emmy12345

Answer by emmy12345 at 7:44 PM on May. 13, 2012

• You most certainly can get pregnant while using an IUD. My last pregnancy was after I had already had an IUD for a few years. However, it's also common with an IUD to have abnormal periods. For example the first time I had one I had a great experience (up until the pregnancy) and my periods were normal, consistent, and actually less painful. However my second and current IUD is driving me crazy. I sometimes go months without any bleeding yet no pregnancy while other times I have spotting everyday for a month. Sometimes I have a period for two days than nothing for two days then period for two days, etc... it's highly unpredictable and extremely inconsistent. What you are experiencing is actually not unusual for IUDs especially hormone ones like the Mirena. But you also can't ever completely rule out pregnancy. Also if you do get pregnant with an IUD in your chance of future pregnancies with an IUD increases.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 7:44 PM on May. 13, 2012

• Yup you sure can. I had Mirena in for about 4 months when I got pregnant with DS. My first 2 tests came out negative because I took them too early. I was so freaked out about the fact that I might have an ectopic pregnancy that I took them right away (before my missed period). Do you have any uterine pain? I had a ton, that is what worried me. They took my IUD out, and gave a pregnancy test that day that was negative, but a few weeks later my test was positive. When we did the math the IUD was taken out the same week I got pregnant, and I was already having that much pain. Thankfully it was taken out soon enough that I did not have an ectopic pregnancy.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 9:31 PM on May. 13, 2012

• the chances are slim but you sure can. the only thing 100% guaranteed against pregnancy is abstinence. even a tubal and a vasectomy are not 100% guranteed.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 12:09 AM on May. 14, 2012

• I have the mirena but I've been having really bad uterine pain. At this point I'm just hoping is it side effects from the IUD .
    I'm to the point now that I'm going to demand my doctor orders I blood test just so I can make sure
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:25 AM on May. 14, 2012