Battle over baptism

A story about a mother who was arrested after having son baptised.

For those who won't bother to read the story, both the parents claim to be Christians, just of different denominations. 

Do you think the mother should have been arrested?  Do you think the father's rights had been denied?  How do you think the law should have handled this case - if at all?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 10:53 PM on May. 13, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I was prevented from baptizing my son in the Catholic church, by his father. I think it's wrong to prevent someone from what they might feel is salvation
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:17 AM on May. 14, 2012

• The father has put a wedge between his son and himself by jailing the mother. Even though she "violated" the joint decision making, the father could have prevented her going to jail. Tenn. is a state that recognizes a child's wishes at age 12, even though the court isn't bound to the child's decision. It's ludicrous the mother was jailed for this. She should've petitioned the court for a modification of which probably would've resulted in mediation. During a mediation the parents could've settled it themselves. I'm not a fan for using the court for family issues. The parents should've settled this. I think this guy is an ass.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:50 AM on May. 14, 2012

• Yes. I am sooooo sick of parents ignoring parenting plans: From the article: In July 2010, his parents finalized their divorce. Stacy Miller was represented at the time by attorney Keith Pope, who would later admit he was addicted to cocaine. She signed a parenting agreement at the behest of Pope that gave both her and her ex-husband "joint decision making" on matters including "religious upbringing."

The parenting plans are set forth by the court and in this particular case the parent's had joint decision making on religion.  She knew that she was under court order to involve her husband and she CHOSE to ignore that court order making her in contempt of court.  They were right to arrest her.

booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 7:20 PM on May. 14, 2012

• Stephen Miller then sent his ex-wife a text saying, "He and I decided that he will get baptized tomorrow." He added, however, that he was "disturbed that I was totally excluded from this decision and the timing."

Bullshit! He was NOT excluded in any way and he even AGREED to it AND attended the ceremony! This guy is nothing but a spiteful asshole and a crybaby! He wanted to see the mother of his children go to jail. I'll bet THAT got him votes for "father of the year" from his kids! Jackass.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:46 PM on May. 15, 2012

• Free for all, the child was 12 and DID decide for himself, please read the article before commenting. The mother didn't do anything wrong because this was not a parental decision, whether for mom or dad, it was the child's decision. Also, if the dad had such a disdain over the Baptist church, he should have considered that BEFORE he married a Baptist woman
    loveMYkids5488

Answer by loveMYkids5488 at 10:45 AM on May. 16, 2012

• I think the mother had every right to do it! After all her son said he wanted to be baptized :) And as the husband sounds like something made him mad. Sounds like an odd story but.. I think it was uncalled for, to have the cops involved! poor mother she didn't even do anything wrong her son had that choice as well.
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 1:23 AM on May. 17, 2012