colds..

So obviously it's the season for colds and i woke up this morning to my 2 1/2 month old coughing like crazy..she sounded so congested and i didnt know what to do besides get her out of her bassinet & sit in the living room holding her. When she coughed it sounded like she couldnt breath, so i took the nasal syringe and tried sucking anything out of her nose. When i did that it sounded like there was SO much mucus that nothing was coming out, and everytime i did it, it made her cough again. So finally i left it alone and she fell back asleep. I tried it one more time when she was sleeping and it was clear. I'm not sure whether or not to call the doctor and tell them whats going on with her or if i should just wait. She usually gets up around 6am to eat, which she did wake up..but went back to bed. PLEASE let me know any other way i can check to see if she actually has a cold or if she was just congested for a little while.

nikkilee0812

Asked by nikkilee0812 at 8:14 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i;d call thedoctor just to be sure because if her nose is stuffed she woulldn't really be able to eat you know?
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 10:08 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• When you are using the nasal aspirator you need to put 2-3 drops of saline drops in each nostril and let it sit for a minute before suctioning. Do this before feeding her. Running a humidifier is good, also try steaming up the bathroom and sit with her in the steam for a bit. I would also highly recommend elevating her mattress. Just stick a pillow under it or put phone books or something under the crib legs. This should help her breath better. If she is not eating well or throwing up, feed her half as much, twice as often. Other wise you just have to wait it out. The doctor will tell you the same. Good luck!
    Galinash

Answer by Galinash at 10:37 AM on Jan. 28, 2009