What is Considered Potty Trained?

i feel so silly asking this, but how do you define 'potty trained'?? i am doing the 3 day potty training method and today is day 5, lol. im not considering my toddler trained yet b/c yesterday we will went through 5 pairs of underwear. don't get me wrong, she is making great progress but i guess im not sure when to consider her fully potty trained.

AgentBrez

Asked by AgentBrez at 8:15 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i considered potty trained when they poop and pee in the potty and keep their clothes clean most of the time. When they only accashionally have accidents. You don't count when they sleep though because they don't really know when they have to go when they are asleep.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:19 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• OMGoodness..... i was gonna ask the same question, LOL.

Paxton still has 1 accident (sometimes 2) per day. So I consider him potty trained during the day. I actually take him shopping and to the library, etc in regular underwear, BUT I always take an extra set of clothes and underwear with me, JIC.

I will still leave pull-ups on him at night until he wakes up dry 5 mornings in a row. He is getting up and using the toilet in the middle of the night (sometimes).

So to answer your question - I consider them potty trained when they are only having 1-2 accidents/day.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 8:57 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• We did the 3-day method back in August.  It really took a week, but by the third day, he was only having one accident a day.  After the first week, it was one accident per week.  Five months later, he has had one accident in the last month during the day and two accidents in the last month while sleeping.  I would consider a child fully-trained when they have about one accident a week during the day.  I agree with PP, many children wet the bed at 5 year old or beyond simply because they don't wake up.  My 2-year-old wakes up most of the time now, but I don't count on it.  Staying clean and dry during the day is toilet-trained imo, and the nighttime part will come on its own whenever it comes. 

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 11:53 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I consider it to be when they do everything all on their own with no reminders or prompting from you...
    Realize they have to go, stop playing to go, work the clothes by themselves, use the potty, wipe themselves, wash the hands, etc.

And I agree with the others, night time is totally different. A fully potty trained child may still wet the bed while sound asleep at night. It's not like the child is waking up and deliberately peeing on the bed instead of going to the potty. The child is sound asleep.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2009