Private schools can exclude Gays and Lesbians. Your thoughts?

Court: Christian school can expel lesbian students.
RIVERSIDE, Calif. – A California appeals court has ruled that a Christian high school can expel students because of an alleged lesbian relationship.
The 4th District Court of Appeal in Riverside on Monday upheld California Lutheran High School's right as a private, religious organization to exclude students based on sexual orientation.
Two girls sued claiming they were discriminated against after they were expelled from the Wildomar school in 2005. A lower court said the school isn't bound by the same anti-discrimination laws as a business establishment.
John McKay, attorney for California Lutheran, says the school's goal is to educate based on Christian principles.
The attorney for the gir

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090128/ap_on_re_us/students_expelled;_ylt=Aur.qM2V.blniMYzLDpiJP2s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTFhazdiM210BHBvcwM1BHNlYwN5bl9tb3N0X3BvcHVsYXIEc2xrA2NvdXJ0Y2hyaXN0aQ--
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• If its a private school they have the right to allow or not allow whoever they want in their schools. Thats why many people opt for private schools to begin with, it isnt easy to get into, and they teach values the parents might agree with. I think they had every right and if the girs broke school policy then they broke it. I am against special treatment for anyone who knows what rules are and break them anyway. Just go to another school already and stop with the frivolous suits. I could see if it was public school but it wasnt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• It is a private school, I think it is the schools right to expel them. Rules are rules.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I thought PRIVATE schools could do whatever they wanted?! They can establish whatever admissions/expulsion criteria they want! Follow their rules/policies or leave, it seems pretty simple!

And AGAIN...WHY does someone living an "alternate lifestyle" feel the need to be so BLATANT about it?! So TEENAGE children can't even get through a 6 hour school day without publicly displaying/announcing to everyone their "preferences?!" Bash on! Because I don't get it! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:49 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I am so glad that the courts ruled this way. Next thing people are going to want is to take religion out of private religious schools.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Yup as a private school they can dictate what goes on behind their walls.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 8:50 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I see no problem with it. Private school, Private tuition, Rules and Codes are set in placed and can be enforced.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:52 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• They can dictate their admissions policy. Of course, it doesn't mean they're not assholes for it...just that they're not in violation of the law. Although in a way I suppose it's better that they advertise it so at least parents of gay kids know who the intolerant assholes are instead of finding out after enrolling and dropping a lot of coin.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Of course, it doesn't mean they're not assholes for it..

Rather harsh words. If certain Christians believe homosexuality is wrong, then they are not assholes. They have a belief system. If YOU don't agree with the belief system then DO NOT GOTO THE SCHOOL! It's pretty cut and dry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I was not invited back to a christian school because I had too many demerits for wearing short skirts which was against their policy. Big deal. I knew by that time in high school it was against the rules and I was breaking them and might not be able to come back. Oh well. If you break rules of a private school then you break them even if you dont agree with them its their rules. Second why sue? Do people not understand that these rules are there because people who dont want their kids in public school choose to send kids to more conservative schools and the school could and would lose income by allowing something offensive to the majority that go there? Dont force things down our throats. I hear that from non believers all the time. Well goes both ways. Dont force your lifestyle down ours either. It was a fair judgement.

Answer by gemgem at 9:04 AM on Jan. 28, 2009