has anyone had a child who would not be put down for a nap?

Did you successfully get the child to go down eventually and how? At what age? Mine sleeps in my arms and in bed nuzzled up against me. Things i have tried- white noise, putting a t-shirt that smells like me in his crib, soothing him back to sleep over and over again when he cries. He is 11 weeks old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 11 weeks, he just wants his mommy. If you find it interfers with your time to do stuff try buying a sling so he can sleep and you can have your hands free to do stuff.
    My 2 older kids would nap in their cribs but my 9 month old DD will not nap in her crib unless she falls asleep in the car and I just transfer her coat and all. Other wise she will sleep in her swing or jumperoo. It used to bother me but now I just accept it. I want/need her to have naps.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 8:51 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• When you are old and grey you will never look back and regret the time you spend cuddled up to your baby while he slept... :)

My little girl is almost 16 months and we still cuddle her to sleep during the day. That is time that you will never get back when they are older, so it's best to take advantage of it while they are still young.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 8:53 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Some babies are born with higher levels of needs for physical contact with their caregivers. There is a huge spectrum. It is especially difficult in the first 3 to 4 months. I was never able to put my baby down for a nap during that time without her screaming. By the time she was 6 months old, she was sleeping in her own room in a crib. Just follow your baby's lead at this point. You don't have to make your baby do what other babies do or what you think he/she should do. Your baby is an individual. You aren't spoiling him/her. This is a real need that your baby has...think of it as very strong surivival instincts.
    Isaidit

Answer by Isaidit at 8:55 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I have/use a sling when necessary- it works fine. It is healthy for him to sleep on his own at some point. I am not rushing him by any means. He is with me all day long. I would just like to hear of other's experiences with this- it gives me someone else's perspective.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My DD is now 18 months but from the moment she came home, she would only sleep in my arms. It was exhausting for me to do this as I'm sure it is for you. I don't remember how long this went on but, it was for quite a while (several months). I should have tried sooner than I did but, eventually I got her to sleep on her own by putting her down VERY gently in her bassinet/crib after holding her while she slept for at least 20 minutes. The more I put her down on her own, the more she adjusted to sleeping by herself. You must be patient and not expect it to happen on the first try. If it does, then that's great! Good luck.
    VirgoMom807

Answer by VirgoMom807 at 8:58 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I think the best way to get your baby to sleep on his/her own is not to force it. If you make them feel insecure, you will have a harder time getting them to sleep on their own. I believe when they really begin to trust that you will always be there for them is when they can begin to learn to self-sooth and be on their own. I think so many parents rush it. That backfires, and they experience the misery of having to force their babies to cry it out.
    Isaidit

Answer by Isaidit at 8:59 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I would swaddle my son before we went to sleep and after he was sleeping i'd gently lay him in a crib right next to my bed. It was a necessity for me though because I have night terrors and the more stressed i am the more frequent they are so it was vry very dangerous for me to hold my son while i slept. but sometimes babies just don't want to be put down no matter what you try. isthere no one else who can hold him?
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 10:04 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My daughter will be three on 2/7/09 and for over a year now she hasn't needed to nap. She gets up at 8am and goes to bed at 8pm. She never gets fussy or over tired. I guess I am lucky to have had such a wonderful resilant child.
    Kimx3babies

Answer by Kimx3babies at 11:12 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• mine is 11 weeks old and is the same way. i swaddle him and hold him until he is out and then i put him in his swing, usually he will sleep for 45 minutes ti an hour and a half. if he wakes up when i put him down in the swing i will give him a pacifier and say shh shh and rock the swing a little faster until he settles back down. i read this in the book THE HAPPIEST BABY ON THE BLOCK and it has worked every time for me! Good luck
    Mgirly84

Answer by Mgirly84 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• ok i am on #3 she is ok but dosn't like her crib some one is always yelling and waking her up but the motion of her swing just puts her back to sleep she is almost 3 months, using a sling or carrier is good to they get the motion and are close by and rember they will not be little for ever i know i am told this all the time but my oldest is 5 yr old now and i can't belive how fast it realy dose go by and with boys esp there will come a day where getting hugs and loves will not happen so just understand that it is a short amount of time and he will be crawling and you will wish you could just hold him and keep him in your lap so he will stay out of stuff or stop climbing on everything! i have a climber/ into every thing 3year old who can open child locks and i realy wish for those days back where all he wanted was me. the house work can wait and ask for help you take care of you and the baby if possible and relaxe.
    jannie1025

Answer by jannie1025 at 7:01 PM on Jan. 28, 2009