Bikini wax...

Never had one and flat out terrified to get one. We have a trip to Mexico later this year and I'd rather not have to cover up a swimsuit with a pair of shorts. In the meantime, I would like to at least try a bikini wax so that when we go swimming over the summer, I can go without shorts as well.

What do you ladies suggest? A trip to a salon to get a professional to do it? Or trying it at home?

I'm far too modest and am not sure I would be able to follow through with a professional appointment.

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 10:03 AM on May. 14, 2012 in Beauty & Style

• Do not do this yourself,, it is very easy to bruise yourself, and bruises and or ingrown hair isn't pretty. Have you considered trying Nair? Bikini waxing is painful (I am a stylist) and some people are more sensitive than others to ingrown hairs etc. I would suggest using Nair, and buying Bikini Zone or Tend Skin,, you apply it a couple of hours after using the depilitory cream.
    If you opt for a wax, you need to trim the hair to about 1/4 of an inch long, and go to a salon to get it done, I would still buy the Tend Skin or Bikini Zone to apply everyday! Call a salon that has an experienced waxer on staff, and take 2 advil (not asprin) before you go in.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:11 AM on May. 14, 2012

• oh honey..you will be sooo happy you let a referred-professional do this for you! trust me...a botched up wax job is no way to initiate yourself into the hairfree lifestyle. lol.
    ask around, get referrals to someone. DO NOT JUST WALK-IN or make an appointment without knowing someone who has used the technician.
    it will be so much quicker (meaning, less painful) and cleaner. i don't care how limber or thin you might be, there is no way you (anyone) can wax their own bikini as well as another person could do it for them. the angles are just not correct.
    also, if you do it, do it about a week before you plan on donning that bikini..just in case you have an allergic reaction to the waxing. some do, some don't. some people swell, or get little bumps. some don't.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:09 AM on May. 14, 2012

• Just make sure to try it now,, some people have reactions to it,, I have very coarse hair, and honestly this is what works for me,, it last about 5-8 days, then just repeat! I wouldn't go out in the sun for 24 hours after you do it, and please buy the Tend Skin or Bikini Zone to apply everyday.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:22 AM on May. 14, 2012

• I wouldn't go out in the sun for 24 hours after you do it,--

oh yeah, same with waxing..any part of skin freshly waxed can be easily burned and irritated beyond normal circumstances(per individual).
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:39 AM on May. 14, 2012

• I don't think I could have someone I dont know down below.. but I'd be too scared to do it myself. lol
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:06 AM on May. 14, 2012

• I'm already living "hair free" as dullscissors put it, but waxing alludes me.

I didn't even think of trying Nair or anything like that! Thanks!
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 10:14 AM on May. 14, 2012