Suggestions for sleeping and feeding schedule for 4.5 month old ?

I am a stay at home breatfeeding mom and my baby girl is waking up more frequently at night now then before. I heard thta at this age she should sleep "through the night" - at least 5 - 6 hours solid. Would you suggest putting her to bed after dinner - maybe around 7.30 - 8.0 pm, or wait later for 9 - 10. pm? How many naps a day and when the last one before bed time? I've got so confused lately, there is no consistency in our schedule.

katy1980

Asked by katy1980 at 9:14 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you tried a eat/wake/sleep cycle? Don't go by time, but if you put these activities in order like that the schedule will work itself out. feed the baby, play with the baby, put the baby down for a nap -repeat. Except for middle of the night feedings of course.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• The best schedule is the one dictated by baby.
    Which means no consistency for a while.

The best way to ensure that your baby thrives and is getting exactly what they need is by feeding them when they are hungry (on demand) and letting them sleep when they are tired.

After a few months of letting your baby make the decisions - they will doubtlessly fall into their own (flexible) pattern.

A great article on listening to your baby's cues and parenting on demand - http://www.llli.org/ba/May99.html
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:20 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Well at her age she is going through a growth spurt. Also, do you rock her to sleep? It can sometimes help if they learn to fall asleep on their own. My kids slept through the night at around 6-8 weeks, I was lucky. I fed them both on demand, I didn't have a feeding schedual with them, just whenever they were hungary. My son at around the clock, cept when he was sleeping, and my daughter was my anorexic baby, she didn't eat a whole lot.
    As far as naps, it depends on your child. My son could take 3 naps a day and still sleep 10 hours that night. My daughter would have an am nap and an afternoon nap. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:24 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• my 4 month old gets put down around 8:00 pm for the night and will sleep until 8 or 9 in the morning. She has 3 good naps a day plus a little cat nap right before bed (most days).

Yes while the baby is sort of the one who sets the schedule it should be parent directed, meaning you need to be the one saying when she'll go down for a nap and when she'll wake up- using her tired cues as a guideline. Same with feeding. If I didn't put my daughter down for a nap she'd never take one because she won't fall asleep unless she's in the crib (or car seat).
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 9:49 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Watch what SHE does. Put her down when SHE seems sleepy. Naps? Well. mine didn't take them.

Feed on demand, always.

Go with the flow really is best...you have YEARS to figure out a schedule and early scheduling versus late scheduling seems to make absolutely no difference once the school years roll around and they MUST be on a schedule. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 10:01 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• be careful when you feed on demand because if you aren't directing it then it could turn into your baby snacking. If your baby is hungry, feed them-of course. But don't pull out the boob every time your baby cries a little. Babies want and need a routine, so give it to them the best you can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Honestly, at this age, I'd just follow her cues. Yes, I'd try to put her to bed and naps around the same time each day, but whatever time works best for her and you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2009