Should the government be drug testing those applying for public assistance?

Most employers require a drug test In order to have the privilege to have a job, many people have to submit themselves to a drug screen — in order to pay taxes, pay their mortgage, put gas in their car, put food on the table,”
I read somewhere that Michigan does this? Kentucky was trying to enact this. As was South Caroline. Do any other states?

What are your thoughts on random drug testing for public assistance recipients?

Shohuld the Federal Government require it for EIC recipients?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Why do you care?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• EIC isnt welfare thats for those who work and earn less money then others. For that I say no. For regular welfare like food stamps and cash aid. Yes. They should also random house check and see if what they put down on forms is correct and if who lives there does or doesnt.

Answer by gemgem at 9:21 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• For government assistance I think it's a good idea.

Just for qualifying for the EIC, no. I'm sure there's plenty of rich folk that don't qualify for EIC and they're doing drugs as well. Just because people are low-income doesn't mean they're druggies.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:21 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Why not?! I've had to take MANY drug tests over the years as per application requirements. Since I've never had anything to hide, I never had any reason not to!

Just like private schools...if you don't like the "admissions" policies/requirements, then don't apply!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:21 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• If you're going to drug test people that qualify for the EIC then you better drug test the entire population filing their taxes. I can name quite a few famous rich people (celebrities) that do drugs or have been caught doing drugs. How is it fair to assume that only poor people do drugs?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:25 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I think it is a great question.

In order to get a job, most likely you have to endure a drug test.

If the government's [taxpayers] footing the bill for welfare, I think taxpayers should NOT be funding those addicted to illegal substances or who cannot pass a drug test.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:27 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Absolutely.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 9:27 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Ohh and EIC, no. that is different entirely imo
    grlygrlz2

• hmm...that could get to be big brother-ish...it could be the beginning of the government using their power to check into any type of crime...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• funny how is only too much government intrusion when you don't agree with it. I see that same people who complain about governemnet already being to big are the same ones in here pushing for more government interference. oh I get it it's only "too much govt" if you don't like it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Jan. 28, 2009