Should I feed my infant solid foods yet?

My son is just 4 mo old and really interested in what I am eating. If I am holding him near my face he will try to bite my apple or orange. I let him taste some plain yogurt and he attacked the spoon for more. Should I introduce some new things like rice cereal, apple sauce etc. My pediatrician says to stick with breastfeeding only untill 6 months for the sake of allergies. NO one in both sides of the fam has allergies. any thoughts ladies?

missv66

Asked by missv66 at 9:22 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is not just allergies to be worried about when thinking of starting solids too early.

I must agree with your doctor.

The following organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (not the first 4-6 months):

World Health Organization
    UNICEF
    US Department of Health & Human Services
    American Academy of Pediatrics
    American Academy of Family Physicians
    American Dietetic Association
    Australian National Health and Medical Research Council
    Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
    Health Canada

When your baby is 6 months old - he can start to eat what you are eating, cereal and pureed food is only necessary to babies who have been started on solids too early.

Google "Baby led weaning" for more info on how to start solids the natural way.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:29 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• you can try cereal at 4 months and see if he like it. I started my kids on green beans at 4 months, they both had cereal in their bottles as really youngins, so I started with green beans. If he wont' accept the spoon, then you know he's not ready
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:26 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I'd wait. My son seemed interested at that age too. I gave him a spoon to play with and that fixed him right up! I also froze some breastmilk and put a chunk into a mesh feeder for him, he thought that was pretty cool too. You never know if your kids will have allergies even if there is no family history. I started solids early with my 10 year old and we're now dealing with some mystery food allergy. We have no history either.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:30 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My dd is 4 months and we just started her for the same reason. Our pediatrician said she seems ready for it so go ahead! She loves it.

If you're worried about allergies just go extra slow with introducing new foods. I think we're sticking with rice cereal for 2 weeks and then moving on to the veggies.

Good luck, and have fun!
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 9:45 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I'd just go with what your pediatrician said. yours said wait mine told me i needed to start cereal but i am certain that both of are children are extremely different. there is no set rule that every single baby start things at the same time just like no babies ever reach their milestones at the same time. just listen to your pediatrician if he says wait then wiat, two monthes isn't that long if you think about it.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 9:50 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• He is old enough, I swear doctors get more cautious every year. I would start out feeding him one thing at time, that way if he does have any allergies it will be easier to determine the cause.

sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:53 AM on Jan. 28, 2009