Do you monitor Myspace/Facebook with your teen?

My SD is 15. I am newly custodial, and not sure what other mothers do is some situations. Do you know your kids password to Myspace/Facebook? Do you look at their communications? Do you limit the time they are on? I appreciate any input!

VondaStepmom

Asked by VondaStepmom at 9:23 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I have a 15yr old daughter that is on myspace and facebook. I don't know her password.. BUT she and I are friends on there so I check on her every so often.. I do give her a little privacy.. IF I have any questions about something I read I just ask her and she tells me! Plain and simple.
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 9:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• both of my kids have myspace and facebook...(well only daughter has a facebook) but anyway, I have the user names and passwords to them all, I am a friend as well on each so that I see what's going on. Even though my daughter is 17 I am still in her business about these sort of things. My house, my rules, my kid....we are all pretty close and they understand.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 9:47 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My son is 15 and since I don't have a myspace or facebook I do have his passwords to monitor his activities. We only limit computer time if it is interfering with school work being done he is generally only home for about 2 hours after school and hockey, so when he has days off we just let him chill with the computer and video game time.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:04 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• people, read myspace rules, u have to be 16 now to have one. anyone who has a myspace under that age had to lie to myspace about thier age to get there
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• the best thing to do is get a myspace yourself. that way you can be "friends" with your children, and still give them some privacy. i check my daughters myspace by way of her profile page. which is where they put all their info. if i see a pic. of her that i dont think is excceptable then i let her know.
    Anonymous

• There is a great program called Spector that you can download and see every key stroke, site etc. Cost is about $89. Even really good computer junkies can't find it on your computer.
    But I agree parents should check into what and who their kids are talking to and about. I also look into her cell phone texts and calls ( by number and times only). I can block any calls that are out of town or we don't know.
    Marena56

Answer by Marena56 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• yes i do and it's no big deal cause they have nothing to hide. they don't go there all that much. they are grounded a lot.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:12 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Yes I do. I reserve the right to cut off internet..I pay the bill. I reserve the right to edit and remove any pics or comments I feel inappropreate. I am not Hitler, I let them have fun...but it is a dangerous world out there so I would be stupid not to have a finger on the pulse of what is going on in their world. We are close and have an open relationship anyway so I very rarely have to mention something to them. Occasionally a shot of them that shows a bit too much cleavage that they just did not notice...that is about it. I reserve the right to change these rules for their protection...or my amusement! I am the Mom.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:36 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• give them privacy!
    thats just gonna make them mad & make them push you away or talk in some kinda code or just gonna get off.
    are you gonna monitor her at school too?
    Anonymous

• We keep an eye on our daughters' my space and facebook account. They even show us their friends on those sites. We have to keep checking on our kids when they are online because there are some many people out there trying to brainwash and hurting them. we always remain them to let us know if somebody bother them online or outside. We are the only one who can protect them from danger
    books17

Answer by books17 at 9:03 AM on Jan. 31, 2009