What do the Lutherans believe?

Let me say first...I AM NOT TRYING TO START AN ARGUMENT!!! My daughter goes to a lutheran preschool, we are not lutheran, we are Baptist, but its the only preschool we could get her into. She has not been baptized yet, and will only be according to our beliefs, not the schools.

Last night, I was putting her to bed and after she said her nightly prayers we started talking. I told her that anytime she gets to missing her Daddy (he's hospitalized) that she can talk to God about missing him and ask him to bring him home to us soon. She then informed me that "God won't hear her." My question is, is this something that they would have taught her at school? Like maybe they teach that b/c she isn't baptized that her prayers won't be heard?

I am completely ignorant of the Lutheran denomination. I really am not trying to start a fight, just more of trying to head off what would be a major conflict in beliefs.

homemakin_momma

Asked by homemakin_momma at 9:23 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think you need to talk to her school. Every church is different, my daughter goes to a Baptist Church to see her grandfather sometimes, and the church is different from the one I went to when my cousin was baptized, both were Baptist, but it's the preachers and teachers that sometimes make the difference. If after talking with them about these issues, you don't agree with them, you can talk to them about suggesting another school for her to attend. If that's not the issue, and I don't really think it is, I would talk to your daughter about God. Discuss with her why she feels that way. Offer her support, and listen to her, this problem probably stems deeper. If you want, you can talk to your deacons/ministers about ways to help her through this.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• No, they don't teach that to my knowledge. Most of my family members are Lutheran and I've never heard of that before. Maybe it's just her age and needing reassurance that He's there and He WILL listen.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:35 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I'm not sure where she got that. You send prayers directly to God (no confessions to a pastor/priest) Being baptized takes away original sin, that's why you're baptized as an infant. It doesn't have anything to do with praying. I have a friend that's Baptist, you have to be saved-then baptized correct? We don't believe in saving, but we do welcome God into your heart and life and try to live in a good way. I would explain that she can pray and God will hear her. Maybe ask the school what she's being taught or have her opt out of the religion part.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 9:38 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• WHY would you send a daughter to a school of which you claim to know nothing about? If it is the "only one" you could find, didn't you research the denomination?

And no, Lutherans don't teach that.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 9:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Lutherans do not believe that God will not hear her prayers. God hears everyone at all times. I do not know where she would have gotten that from, but it wasn't there.
    the Lutheran church (LCMS at least) teaches that only God can hear us, no saints etc, so maybe she got that confused?
    Best of luck with your daughter and your ailing husband.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 10:04 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I was a leeetle rude earlier - I'm sorry.

I am sorry that you are going through quite a bad time.

Every Protestant demoniation believes that God hears all our prayers, baptized or not. No worries there.

I would however suggest a quick visit to your dayschool admin office to go over the basic tenets of the Lutheran church.

Good luck.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 10:15 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• www.religioustolerance.org should be able to answer your questions.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 12:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I've had a little experience in Lutheran Church -- a little. It was one of the denominations I explored while trying to find 'my fit'.

I went to 2 different Lutheran churches. They got as far as preaching (even during a funeral) that the good you do on Earth means nothing in the eyes of God & that anyone that tells you otherwise is of the devil & lying to you. Also, that if an infant/child dies before being baptized (even if it dies during childbirth), they go to hell for their 'sins'.

That was enough for me right there. Marked Lutheran right off my list! LOL
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• To answer the question about why I put her in that preschool. Besides head start it is the only other preschool in town that I know of. We make too much money for Head Start.

Thanks for everyones answers.
    homemakin_momma

Answer by homemakin_momma at 1:07 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Have you considered it's something another child told her?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2009