work-out question

I love exercising, but Im not sure what I should do as a schedule. I dont really have any equipment, only 3lb weights and (not sure what its called) one of those long rubber things with handles. I mostly just do things like crunches and leg lifts ect. So my question is, could someone give me kind of a schedule ? I know that Im not supposed to work the same muscles everyday but other than that I dont know what the most effective way to work out is.
Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Well to be honest crunches and leg lifts aren't really going to do much. Do you have cable? Cable companies like Time Warner have "On Demand" channels (usualy in the 900's) and there is an exercise on demand channel. There you can do pilates, tae bo, the biggest loser, leslie sansone, and dozens of other workouts FREE anytime. And if you don't check out your local library. You can take one or two workout videos or dvd's each week and switch around. I first started with Leslie Sansone's Walk away the Pounds videos and in 6 months I lost 50 pounds!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• No I don't have any t.v. I don't want to lose weight - I just want to tone up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Try an aerobic exercise every day for half an hour- such as jogging or walking or dancing around your house to music that you like. And every other day do weights. The curls and leg lifts are fine as long as you keep your lower back firmly on the floor. Also some exercises for your arms- biceps and triceps, some exercises for your back end and the backs and sides of your legs. Do all of these slowly- count 5 up, hold, count 5 down. fast will not get what you are aiming for. Some stretches (while the muscles are warm) and some balance exercises. It would take too long for me to describe the exercises, so google them, or take some classes or training at a club. or get a book from the library- although exercise theory changes rapidly so an older book would likely not be the best advice.

Answer by Bmat at 10:00 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Just because I used to workouts to lose weight doesn't mean thats all they are for. Crunches won't tone anything and leg lifts won't either. The workouts i described DO tone. But if you don't even have a tv then all I can suggest is taking out one of the Biggest Loser workbooks. They have wonderful exercise routines in them and even a schedule to do them on, on your own. Exercises like squats, lunges and kickbacks done in specific intervals to help tone. But you have to understand that as you tone you will lose fat, that can't be helped, but you'll gain muscle!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:13 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Forget the small weight you have and get to doing some body weight exercises. Do a web search. Squats, push-ups, lunges. You can achieve A LOT with body weight!!! My niece is working with an awesome trainer--if I were younger--I would!!! He does what is known as "Underground Strength Coach" stuff--a lot of push-ups, pull-ups, squats, kettlebells, tires--etc. She has gotten so strong but hasn't lost weight. So you don't have to worry about losing weight if you don't want to--but you will probably want to eat a bit more if you are really pushing yourself. I do a lot of this at home--the body weight stuff and kettlebells. I would also suggest you throw in some yoga--get a book and learn some moves:-)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Cont---my son has been in the Army since July. He was an avid exerciser and had a nice body. But my gosh--what a difference all that physical training has made and it has all been body weight training with a lot of "crunches, butterflies, and leg lifts" for the belly. So you can achieve amazing things with body weight exercises. So I would suggest you research it on line or find some good books at the library.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jan. 28, 2009