considering homeschooling?

We're a military family. I'm starting to learn a lot more about the school system as my STB 3 yo gets ready for school. Up until a few days ago I've been counting down the days to when he's ready to go to preschool and I get some reprieve!! However, learning about the difficulties military kids face with meeting the varying state standards every time they move, I feel like I'm doing my kid a disservice by putting him the public school system. Lord knows, we don't make enough to put him in private school. So I'm considering homeschooling.

I saw my mom try to homeschool my little sister when she was in kindergarten and she struggled. Teaching kids to read is REALLY hard. What about public school until we make our first move to a new school- so maybe he can get a few years of consistant education, then homeschooling him instead of making the transition to a new school...? I just don't know...

livn4hevn

Asked by livn4hevn at 9:30 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Homeschooling is a lot easier then people think. And a lot harder. :) I was in a military school growing up. Moved and pulled out of school every two years. There are huge gaps in my education due to repeating the same things and missing others completely. At one point I just didn't care anymore. That is why I chose homeschooling for my kids. I love being home with them, I know exactly where they are acedmically. They have more time! I am not sure what your question is exactly, but if there is anything I can do to help you, please feel free to message me.
    Susie
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 9:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Home Schooling is a wonderful option for younger children. I home school my 3rd grader and I have just started some preschool with my 3 year old. We are working on Shapes and Counting and numbers. He knows all his letters in the uppercase form so after we get our numbers all down we will start working on lowercase letters and phonics. There are some great websites. www.starfall.com for letters and phonics. www.tlsbooks.com for preschool-5 grade worksheets. I love this site for his shape and counting worksheets and he loves to do them. Good Luck in your decision. Home schooling is not for everyone and not everyone has the same experience.
    SusanReeves

Answer by SusanReeves at 11:50 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I'm teaching my first year of homeschool right now with my oldest in kindergarten. Teaching him to read definately isn't easy, but with the right amount of support and resources you'll be fine! Homeschooling has come a long way since your mom tried it.

I bought a book titled "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons". I haven't started it quite yet with him because we're still working on his sight words and handwriting skills but I've heard ALL good things about it! Mine came from Amazon used at a great price!

Find a local homeschool group and talk to some of the mothers. Visit the Happy Homeschooler's group here on CafeMom. There's over 3,000 homeschooling moms there that can answer your questions and offer you support.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:10 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• We're military and planning on homeschooling as well. My husband and I really want our children to develop a love for learning and nurture their curiosity. We've been really disillusioned by our own schooling and feel driven to do better for our children.

We haven't officially started anything, but I'm planning on starting a preschool curriculum this year to test the waters. I also know though, that we are always teaching our children. Every interaction with a parent is a learning experience - so homeschooling might not be as daunting as everyone assumes.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 7:07 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• We've been homeschooling about 6 yrs now. You can certainly do both.

If you begin with homeschooling & enroll him in public school later, the school will test him & determine where to place him. If you begin with PSing, you can withdraw your child whenever you want to begin HSing him. Different states have different rules, but most of the time all that is required is that you notify the school you are withdrawing him with the intent of homeschooling.

If I can be of any help, just let me know. G'luck!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 7:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2009