Meeting sibling for first time....help

Ok so I am going to my sons 4th Birthday in February....He lives with his dad...And I just recently gave birth in june of 08 to a healthy baby girl....She was asurprise because after having my son I got my tubes tied and burned...Or so I thought....But then when I found out in September of 07 I was pregnant I didn't belive it....But I decied to keep her anyways...Well she is now 7 months old...teething and going through this abandonment anxiety(so parents magazine says) even though if I go away I come back....My son knows about hislittle sister...But if he understands it completely I don't know....So what should I do when I bring her with me to see him?

babylover08417

Asked by babylover08417 at 9:32 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I guess I don't understand what you're asking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Wow... I think I would have picked a day that wasn't filled with excitment.....
    Maybe you can have a visit before his birthday, ease him into it and then on his birthday it will be about him and not about meeting his lil sister for the first time...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• When you introduce them, have your arm around your son, talk mainly to him, speak positively and in a casual, upbeat manner. But it is important that he understands that his sister is not taking his place in your attention or in your heart.

Answer by Bmat at 9:49 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I also agree with anon :37 that the birthday is not a good time. His mind will be on other things, and this may be a tiny bit disturbing to him. Don't make his birthday a day he'll remember because Mom has a new baby to love.

Answer by Bmat at 9:51 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I agree with easing him into it before he meets her:)
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 11:32 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I say take her.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2009