A little background , I have been to cosmetology school before for a little while . Took a leave of abscence never went back. Discussed going back . Fast forward to now , not a super people person, not too sure about what to do. Should I go back to cosmetology school? or maybe the better question how do I know if cosmetology school is right for me?

cosmetology school

raynebeau2

Asked by raynebeau2 at 9:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• Do you love doing hair? Making people feel better about themselves? Can you nod and smile?

I actually think NOT being a people person is OK - when someone is in the chair, they don't want to hear about you - they want to talk about themselves.

If you have a talent, GO FOR IT.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 9:41 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Well, it sounds to me as if it really isn't your field. Especially since being around people isn't your thing. People change fields all the time, so don't regret giving up something you had previously studied, the training you got then will help in other ways. Look at the want ads and see if something appeals. Look at course offerings in your local college and see if something makes you think -hey, I always wanted to do that, or learn about that, or I can see myself as doing that. Meanwhile, if you can get any job to get your foot back in the job market door, it might be a good idea. Another thought is to talk with an employment agency and get some temp work- this can help you learn what you like and don't like, it will get you some money, and it will get you some contacts. Good luck with this.

Answer by Bmat at 9:45 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• It sounds as if this isn't something you really like or want. You might try going to your local employment development center to see a counselor who canhelp you figure out what you ARE good at and what WILL work for you.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:59 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I went thru something similar years ago. Started the school and didn't go back. What I did do was return to school for barbering. Instead of dealing with women and all their primping for hours on end, I deal with men for very brief (7-15min) minutes of my time.
    I'm not a "people" person, either. but it's easy to give a few min and send them out the door.
    moniquesand

Answer by moniquesand at 10:26 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• The community colleges here offer career testing. It asks a bunch of questions about your likes and personality, then based on those answers gives you a list of careers you might like. You could try calling your local CC and see if they offer it. It's free here, you just have to call one of the counselors and schedule an appointment.

desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 10:30 AM on Jan. 28, 2009