What do you think about those who collect welfare being required to document how that money was spent?

The question regarding drug testing those on welfare got me thinking....

As I understand it, once you have been approved for welfare payments, you do not have to justify where or what that money was spent on. What if welfare recipients had to show store/grocery receipts, on say, a quarterly basis to their case worker (or some online system) in order to continue to receive said benefits?

I have heard that SOME welfare recipients sell their food stamps for a fraction of their face value for cash and then buy liquor, drugs, and/or cigarettes with that money. Accounting for the money given MIGHT curb some of that behavior, and actually end up being used on the intended dependents?!

The same could also go for those receiving child support--but that's probably best left for a separate thread!

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 9:49 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Attempting to monitor recipients spending would be too large a job for any government dept. I do agree that drug testing should be included. I would also include DUI's, too. If someone has the money to drink then they have the money to buy bread, milk and eggs.

As far as a person have the "right" to spend as they choose, nooo gooo. If you don't generate your own money, and someone else pays for the upkeep, then they can and should be held accountable. Anyone that would use that reasoning, should allow me to come live in their household and let me eat their food and watch their cable and use their cell phone. :) LOL

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• okay i don;'t think that would be a problem could be a good idea. but what about the people selling the foodstamps you still have to buy food with them so they would sell say half of them to someone that person would buy food and give them the receipt. so too many holes in that theory i guess
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I think this is a great idea. If for no other reason, this tracking of spending might help them with other money problems. This money is coming from the tax payers and if Obama believes in transparency, maybe it should go all the way down the food chain!

Child support would be a separate issue.  But If I was getting it, I would be able to account for it.  Unfortunantly the system for child support leans heavily in the favor of those who are supposed to pay not those that are supposed to receive!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Don't welfare recipients have to turn in their bills and then based on that it is decided how much they get?

Isn't already based on what they have coming in and what is going out in bills?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Regardless of the fact that they recieve public assistance, people still have the right to be treated with dignity. Having a buearacracy micro-manage the spending habits of those on assistance would further stress an already inefficient system.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 9:57 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Only problem....you're going to have to hire a new boatload of bureaucrats to read those reports.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:57 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I think it's a fantastic idea. Make sure those who are on Welfare are using it for what it's meant to be used. It's not taking away the right to be treated with dignity. It's called accountability.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 10:14 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Dignity yes, the ability to spend money that isn't EARNED by them freely on whatever. No. ACCOUTABILITY...isn't that the Dem by word now....

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:15 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I think it is a great idea. I also would like to see them require drug tests before giving out welfare. If the person does not test clean they should be referred to an agency to help rehabilitate them. If they chose not to take the assistance they should not be given monetary assistance either.
    vegas_mom

Answer by vegas_mom at 10:18 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• That will cause too much confusion. What if a person looses a receipt...as we all do some time. Also, food stamps is for all food except some things that are prepared in the Deli...therefore in a sense they are monitoring what can be bought and if they didn't want certain things to be bought they would have to go through the stores in the area so that things can be put into the databases like it is done with WIC. To me, this would be too muc h of a headache.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 10:20 AM on Jan. 28, 2009