Am I just picky or is this inappropriate?

If your kids go to a babysitter/in home day care regularly do you send them in jeans that are too tight and holy and shirts the are too small and hair not brushed? Even if most of their time is spent playing outside?

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 2:13 PM on May. 14, 2012 in General Parenting

• No way
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:14 PM on May. 14, 2012

• I don't even bring my kids to the park like that. Shirts with holes & unremovable stains get thrown away.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:16 PM on May. 14, 2012

• I never did but I know a couple of kids that had nothing else but those kinds of clothes. The daycare provider tried gathering clothes for them.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:18 PM on May. 14, 2012

• when my son went to a sitter - he was in between 2-3 yrs old. he would wear play clothes that fit well. did not have holes. but pretty often were stained = because i wanted him to wear play clothes - i did not want her to worry about stains or the clothes. i wanted them to be free to paint or play with dirt if they wanted to. when he started going to preschool - we sent him in school clothes and battled the stains- but for an IN HOME babysitter - i saw no need for nice clothes. i also would not ever purposely dress my child in rags. then again - i could alway afford to buy clothes that fit and didnt have stains... as for the uncombed hair issue - my son wears a crew cut.. (like an astronaut... )so while he might have a collic. you cant tell that he has never brushed his hair / it isnt really long enough to brush it. - it looks good short!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:18 PM on May. 14, 2012

• no! my kids have play clothes for outside play (mind don't go to daycare) but if we play outside or go to the park they wear clothes that i bought earlier in the year, not the recently bought stuff, but never anything with holes, stains or that is too small.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:19 PM on May. 14, 2012

• I used to run an at home daycare and I used to get kids that way all the time. I had a boy 5 and a girl 3, 5 days a week. Sometimes they would come in the morning with the same clothes I sent them home in. I did the girls hair every mornig. Her hair was in the same hair ties half the time they came. I felt so bad for these kids.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 2:20 PM on May. 14, 2012

• i don't know that appropriate is the right word for it. i mean, maybe you are judging a parent who doesn't have better clothing, and if they are 'just playing all day', if i were lacking clothing for my family, i certainly would not send them in their 'best' (whatever it was) just to play all day.
    clean bodies and clothing, sure. but holes in the jeans, wrong size, etc? not a big deal.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:21 PM on May. 14, 2012

• It sounds to me like the parents just don't have the money to replace clothes right now.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:25 PM on May. 14, 2012

• You don't know the situation so how do you know the parents aren't doing their best? It could be that they just can't afford better clothing right now. Or maybe the child puts up a real battle over hair-brushing that the mother is just too worn out to fight. It is very easy to make assumptions from the outside looking in.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:29 PM on May. 14, 2012

• I would not send my kids anywhere in clothing that was too small. I do send them out in the backyard to play in clothes that have holes or stains, though. They are so active and the clothes are likely to get ripped up or stained anyway, so I figure I might as well send them out in ones that already are. I don't take them out in public like that unless it's unavoidable - for example, to go to the ER if they're playing outside and fall and break a bone.

As far as their hair, they both have a habit of running their fingers through it or rubbing it and it ends up looking not brushed anyway. But I (or rather, they, now that they are old enough) brush it every day, and if we go out somewhere, if it has that messy look, I'll run the brush through it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:29 PM on May. 14, 2012