Who is harder to potty train? Girls or Boys?

My daughter learned pretty fast but my boy could care less

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 3:15 PM on May. 14, 2012 in General Parenting

• I don't think it has to do with the sex of the child. I think it has more to do with the personality and temperament of the child. Some children, regardless of gender, are determined to beat you at whatever game you want to play, and that includes potty training.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:25 PM on May. 14, 2012

• i've always been told boys were harder...idk from experience, though, because my ds's daycare instructor potty trained him.
    :))
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:17 PM on May. 14, 2012

• I think there's a trade off. My boys all learned later, but almost overnight and never (yes, I mean never!) had accidents. My girls learned earlier, but it took several days and had a few accidents.

Answer by missanc at 3:18 PM on May. 14, 2012

• I have only trained boys, but they were all pretty easy once i figured out to wait until they were ready.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:23 PM on May. 14, 2012

• I think overall girls are harder. At least from my experience.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 3:23 PM on May. 14, 2012

• I really think it's the parents commitment on it.. my ds took a little time but wasn't hard really.. i didn't want to pull my hair out.. I just didn't give up and kept at it which helped him more.
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 3:30 PM on May. 14, 2012

• my 10 year old (girl) was just as stubborn about it as my son. but another of my girls pretty much potty trained herself. pretty equal, i guess i have to say.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 3:32 PM on May. 14, 2012

• I was also told that boys are harder, but my ds picked it up so fast and easily! he was completely potty trained by 2.5, he is just over 3 now and goes completely by himself unless he makes poopy then we help him wipe and clean up. of course i have to remind him to always flush and wash his hands but i still have to do that with my 5yo dd! SHE was hard to train, didn't even really wnat to try until almost 2.5 but once she got used to it she did ok, she just barely started wiping her own butt now that she turned 5 though :-/ I think it just depends entirely on the kid and if THEY want to when mom/dad wants to! Incentives help of course ;-)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 3:47 PM on May. 14, 2012

• My son potty trained himself.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:30 PM on May. 14, 2012

• I only have boys, so I can't personally compare, but I've always heard that for the most part, girls are easier to potty train. Not surprising, we have shorter, straight urethras and get the "gotta pee!" message faster than boys.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:39 PM on May. 14, 2012