• In the Spotlight:

How can I calm a TMJ flare up?

I've had TMJ for a few years now and all of a sudden my jaw is killing me. Exedrin and tylenol are not helping. I take my mouth guard off during my sleep as its painful so i don't use that anymore.

Anyone have any ideas on what could help?

JennStarc

Asked by JennStarc at 10:12 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Health

• I had this problem too. Had my Jaw re-set. I was Painful but I didn't TMJ anymore. I the only thing that help me was Alieve.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Ice, and if that doesn't help try heat. I usually end up using heat. I use Aleve. You probably should get your mouth guard adjusted - the doctor who made it for you originally should be able to make some changes that would help, or it might be worth it to get a new one made. Also, make sure it is your TMJ and not a tooth problem. I hope you feel better soon.

Answer by Bmat at 10:27 AM on Jan. 28, 2009