My one year old has teeth and likes to grit them, what can I do?

According to the dentist he shouldn't do that, but besides sucking on a passie is there anyway of preventing this? Obviously he isn't used to having teeth and I think that's why he is doing that, but it's a horrible sound, please help!

angeljosh

Asked by angeljosh at 10:18 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter used to/does that occasionally but not constant. We haven't found a thing that will help it. It's not good to do every day but if it's only on occasion I wouldn't worry. Offer a snack when he starts doing it..
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:23 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I think you need a new dentist because a lot of kids do that and it's not their permanent teeth. When it's their permanent then you need to worry and go to a dentist. They have mouth guards for teeth grinding.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• All 3 of mine have done that and it's just a phase IMO, they all stopped after a little while. It IS a horrible sound though, you're very right about that!
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 11:25 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My now 6 yr old went thru that. I found the more attention we drew to it, the more she did it. When we caught her doing it we would just distract her.....eventually she did grow out of it.
    QueenBmommy

Answer by QueenBmommy at 11:43 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My dentist said that it's perfectly normal....my sons teeth even ground down a little. He said they are just discovering the new sound/feeling their teeth make. Having said that (my son is 3 now) he said if it continues when he has permanent teeth, he will need a mouth guard to protect them, but my son doesn't do it anymore....I noticed it most at 12-18 months old.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• ooops..my son is 4...he was 3 when he went to the dentist, in the above situation.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 12:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My son did this. It is like the banging their head against the wall phase. It will pass, it is not fun but it will pass.
    juliemoose

Answer by juliemoose at 1:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• my dd did this...it was just a stage and ended pretty quickly. the noise was killing me, too, so i was glad it ended asquickly as it did.
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 10:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2009