Do you honestly think EIC is comparable to Welfare?

I was told the other day that I shouldn't have kids that I can't afford because I got EIC on my taxes last year. At no point was I on welfare, I supported my kids just fine but the gov't thinks we don't make enough, which I agree we don't, but we make it just fine without the EIC. Do you think it is the same or comparable to welfare?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• Honestly, yeah, I do. The government is basically paying you welfare, but getting you out working too. If it's not, then why don't we all get credit for working and earning money? I'm a single mom, paying out expenses for twins. Do I get EIC for working full-time, taking care of my family, paying daycare, etc? No. Why? Because I made the choice to work in a job that pays well? I'm working, earning income, paying taxes. Why shouldn't I get credit for it, too?
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 10:25 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• This is why I don't discuss taxes with people!

Keep your information private!

And no, I don't equate the two.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 10:25 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I do not, and whoever says or thinks those things are just ignorant.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Halfpint-if you could gladly point us in the direction of making more than 39,000 a year (I think that that is the cut off for the EIC) then I would GLADY forfeit the EIC that our family qualifies for this year.

I would LOVE to take a job for me or my dh that makes enough that we wouldn't get it. I don't enjoy being poor and I certainly don't think people stay in low paying jobs so that they can get the EIC.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• What is EIC?
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 10:29 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• It is the Earned Income Credit. Its a credit that lower income families get which gives them larger refunds. I think that the cut off to me eligible is 39,000. But I could be wrong.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 10:32 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• You can find better info. on the IRS website.
    JennRN09

• halfpint_ny my husband is a Marine... even if the job doesn't pay well, it comes with more pride, honor and respect than most any job out there. I'd say that is worth getting paid less.

I don't work, I stay home with my kids. If I did work we would still be within the limit of getting EIC since it would probably be somewhere like the MCX or the commissary since there is nothing else around here. I won't go into a career right now because it is just too hard when we move every 2-3 years and I want to enjoy my kids while they are young.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I'd love to point you in that direction. What do you and your DH bring to the table for skills, degrees, etc?
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 10:34 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I saw the argument you are talking about where a few people became incrediably negative able people collecting EIC. My husband is military and the first year of marriage, I had some income, but not much. We did not get EIC. Last year we had our dd and I stayed home with her. I had no income and we rated getting EIC this year. We could qualify for WIC if we wanted, but I chose not to collect it because I feel like it is closer to welfare than I want to be on. We get by on little income, but we have more than enough to provide for our child. We never asked for EIC, but it was given to us because that is how the tax law is written. I don't think it is welfare because we never asked for a handout. We would be just fine without EIC, but since it is coming, I will use it wisely to the advantage of my family's financial health (paying extra bills, home improvements, a new carseat for my dd, etc).
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 10:35 AM on Jan. 28, 2009