I honestly want to know... no judgment, Im really just very curious....

What benefits are there to having a child with out a husband?

I keep seeing these women who are ttc with no husband. I see a husband as partner and i suppose you could argue that you dont need the actual leagla commiment to have a partner...... but also there is a real financial benefit to being married.

I guess Im to practical to see the benefit to having a child with out being married. Im truly am curious and would love to hear the counter argument.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on May. 14, 2012 in General Parenting

• While I do know women who are trying to have a baby without a husband, the two I know are not currently in a relationship but feel their clock ticking. They don't see it as a benefit to not having a man in their life, but they don't want to miss out on motherhood.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:29 PM on May. 14, 2012

• Some women are financaly stable on their own and do not need a man for financial suport. Yes it is always nice to have someone their to help raise the kids with you. But not every women has that.

Answer by louise2 at 9:30 PM on May. 14, 2012

• By the way, I also know a man who adopted a child as he wanted to be a father but had not prospects at that time. He was in his late 30's and adopted a special needs child who was about 10. He is now married and at 48 just welcomed his first biological child into the world.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:31 PM on May. 14, 2012

• good point ladies. I do see being in your 40s in a very stable career and wanting a family before it is too late.

I guess the posts that seem to grab me are the once ttc and are not in the above situation... maybe those are the posts that just jump out at me more because I simply dont understand the thought process. Where as the others I get, so i might not notice those posts as much.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:32 PM on May. 14, 2012

• 1 benefit I can see is not having 2 differing parenting views. Then you don't have to compromise on rules that you set for your home, because you don't have to worry about the other parent not seeing eye to eye with you.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 9:36 PM on May. 14, 2012

• af4life - I would check that up to a problem in the marriage.

Hubs and I dont always see eye to eye but we NEVER show that to the kids.  If we dont necessarily agree on an issue of parenting we deal with that behind the scenes with and honest conversation.  And I have found it very beneficial to have a back and forth over my parenting beliefs.  I ether am more solid in my beliefs or I see where I might have made a bad choice.

But I cant imagine marring someone whoes core belife system isnt alligned with mine.... why would any one do that???

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:42 PM on May. 14, 2012

• There is no problem with my marriage thank you, and our core beliefs are the same. The issue is with little things like he thinks it is OK for boys to date at a young age, but not girls. Our kids don't see the arguments either (and they are babies). These things just come up when talking about when the kids get older. They aren't big issues, I am just saying that some may see that as a benefit, not having to compromise.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 9:48 PM on May. 14, 2012

• Some people want a child but do not want a husband....

Seems okay to me....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:54 PM on May. 14, 2012

• I guess I was speaking more to the woman who want a child but are not married to the man they are ttc with.
    I get the wanting a child and not the husband... but that is different
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:04 PM on May. 14, 2012

• Who says you have to be married in order to have kids... i know i was but i wasn't ttc my first either and most the time for others it just happens... and that is very common these day... and i get what af4life is saying and it makes a good point too.. it's a personal choice one makes.
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 10:06 PM on May. 14, 2012