co-sleeping and breastfeeding!?

my son is 10 weeks... and i have been trying to get him to sleep better at night, but he is little, so i figure i would just bring him into my bed when he wakes up around 2 or 3 am. but he seems to get really fussy when i try to breastfeed him lying down... whats the trick? am i doing something wrong? any good pointers out there??? thanks!

alunderz

Asked by alunderz at 10:51 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just try different positions until you find one that works for both of you. Try getting him to latch in the position you normally feed him during the day and then adjusting from there.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 11:06 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• my dd didn't like nursing while I was laying down and I honestly found it easier to handle her while I was sitting up, especially switching sides and burping.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 11:20 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• He may still be too small. It took me a while before I could nurse laying down that way. Just keep at it. By 3 or 4 months it will be soooo easy.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I tried doing that too, but sometimes it is best, if you can forfeit the sleep to just sit up and give him a good feeding. When you lay down to feed, your babies nose can get blocked and not be able to breathe. The breasts of a breastfeeding mother are very soft and flowy and that is just dangerous to the airflow of the baby, or atleast that is how it was for me.
    J3Atherton

Answer by J3Atherton at 1:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2009