I am single mom wanting to move, where do I begin? I am thinking about going to Texas, any thoughts on that? is it kid friendly?

fancyface2007

Asked by fancyface2007 at 12:04 AM on May. 15, 2012 in Travel

• I heard everything is BIGGER in Texas. You can take that however way you want. LOL That may mean classroom sizes, too! Ughhh, heat, humidity, oh my!

Doesn't sound like my kind of weather.
    onelove1982

Answer by onelove1982 at 12:06 AM on May. 15, 2012

• According to Forbes...Utah earned the highest marks. Here residents reported a high level of satisfaction in several areas, including work environment, emotional health and their local communities. One major factor for Utah's strong performance might be its unemployment rate: When last reported in January, it was 4.6% compared with a national rate of 7.6%.

Hawaii ranked second, followed by Wyoming, Colorado and Minnesota. West Virginia ranked last, and manufacturing-reliant states like Michigan and Ohio also landed in the bottom 10.

Wyoming and Colorado I really loved being there. Wyoming is one of the few states that rarely have any severe weather, and they have Yellowstone National Park, which has breath taking beauty, and the mountains are majestic. Its a beautiful state, and Colorado is also.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:18 AM on May. 15, 2012

• What state are you in now and where are the members of your family ?
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 12:20 AM on May. 15, 2012

• im in az. My mother lives on same street but i hardly see her, she didnt raise me, she was a drug addict my whole life and still uses pain pills. My dads in phx but is married and has a wife and 2 kids and I am an outsider. I am in a border town, like 5 minutes from mexico. I cant find a work, and most jobs here you have to speak spanish.
    fancyface2007

Comment by fancyface2007 (original poster) at 12:54 AM on May. 15, 2012

• Chicago is very kid friendly! Great schools, improving economy, you don't need a car to get around.

However, if you are going to make a major move, find a job first (preferably one with relocation benefits)

Answer by rkoloms at 5:43 AM on May. 15, 2012

• I thought about chicago too, and I want to be somewhere where you dont need a car everywhere you go. When I lived in phx, you had to drive everywhere you went. I put my app in for whole foods. I havent worked in a while since I am a stay at home mom, im not picky I will work anywhere. Its funny but for some reason I want to work in a grocery store setting, it seems like a positive job
    fancyface2007

Comment by fancyface2007 (original poster) at 10:28 AM on May. 15, 2012

• I've lived in Texas my entire life and love it. People that come from other states hate it. My husband came here from California and is always complaining because the beach is not next door and the weather is not perfect. There's plenty of lakes, cabins, parks, waterparks, etc.
    themodestgal

Answer by themodestgal at 11:59 AM on May. 15, 2012

• All I can say is - don't come to California, while it is the sunshine state, the unemployment rate is way too high, along with rent, food, property taxes, vehicle registration, ad nauseum.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:37 PM on May. 15, 2012

• "Chicago is very kid friendly! Great schools, improving economy, you don't need a car to get around. ...."
    Chicago kid friendly? What planet are you on? I guess the reports of gun violence, kids killing kids, and as of February 2012, they had the highest murder rate in the US is fiction? Also in the first 3 months into 2012, Chicago has seen 114 homicides, representing a 35 percent spike in the city's murder rate compared to the same period last year.....Somebody is in denial.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 4:00 PM on May. 15, 2012

• I think I would figure out where first, secure a job then move. I would not want to take my child to another state and it not work.
    Dont come to Ohio jobs are sparse.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 4:07 PM on May. 15, 2012