how should i wish my newborns clothes? (like water temp.) and any other hints

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always just washed them on warm-normal setting with Dreft. Now that my son is getting older and eating baby food I use a little oxyclean in each load to keep stains out.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 10:55 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I never spent the money on Dreft it is overpriced. All you need is a laundry soap that is "free and clear" All makes a great one., as does Cheer and even Tide now. All free and clear means is that it has no dyes, and no perfumes/scents. Most baby clothes are fine to be washed in warm water. After the baby is here if you are using cloth diapers they should be washed separately and in hot water with borax or baking soda and laundry soap. Never use fabric softener on diapers or bibs (towels either now that I'm here) it makes them less absorbent.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:02 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Wash in hot, use a free-n-clear laundry soap like arm and hammer or all, and use an extra rinse cycle. Never use Gain or Surf. They are horrible for your skin. My dermatologist said of the rashes he sees that are soap-related, 90% are from Gain or Surf. And wash your shirts the way you wash the baby's clothes -- as close as he/she is to you on a daily basis behind held, it's practically like he/she is wearing your shirt.

imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 11:16 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• wash*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I agree. Dreft is good but almost every brand and even generic brands have the dye and smell-free clothes wash available. You could save money that way. We used regular detergent and there was never a problem.
    lauralii99

Answer by lauralii99 at 11:33 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• You actually shouldn't use fabric softener at all on baby clothes (especially if your baby is ever around smokers or any other fire hazards)...it counteracts the flame retardant properties of baby clothes and makes them much more flammable. I use dryer balls in the dryer instead and like them just fine. I used Tide Free on my daughter's laundry when she was really young but have since switched to Tide with bleach alternative...my daughter doesn't have any sensitivity to the fragrance and I find it gets food stains out better.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• ***Also...if you're breast feeding you should know that breast milk stains! Make sure you are wearing your nursing bra with nursing pads...especially at night. I had no idea that it would leave oil stains so bad and ended up ruining a sheet set and several t shirts the first few weeks.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:57 AM on Jan. 28, 2009