What do you do with your little ones when it is too cold to go outside?

My son is 2 and it has been icy and cold all week, so we can't go outside to play and he is REALLY getting bored and hyper. He is getting bored of playing with toys, reading books, coloring, etc. So what can we do indoors to get all his energy out?

Harrisonsmommie

Asked by Harrisonsmommie at 10:54 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try fun crafts maybe decorate a self made bulletin board, make some popcorn string. The shaving cream on the table works, bubbles and dancing as stated above. Maybe a indoor playdate with another child.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 11:00 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• my son likes to dance we turn the music on and dance and run around the house. we also like to blow bubbles. He loves to jump with me.
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 10:57 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My son is only 6 months so it's me that gets cabin fever and not him, but if it's not too bad out to drive in I take him to the mall and put him in the stroller while I window shop and he watches people. He's a ladies man and likes to smile at the old women and I get out of the house for a bit. I also do play dates when I get a chance.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 10:58 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Try this:

http://educationaltoyfactory.com/goop_recipe_lesson.htm

My kids LOVE making goop. Making it is as cool as playing with it after.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:05 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• You can build forts out of pillows and blankets. I also have a 2 year old boy and we take all of the pillows and make long bumpy paths around the house and drive his cars on them. He thinks it is sooo fun. You can decorate Valentine Cookies together. Crafts and finger plays are also great. If you have a bigger space in your living room you could start to teach him how to do sumer saults and crab walk ect. Hope that helps.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 11:25 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• That's how it is here. I kinda do a variety of things, then I don't try to do them two days in a row. Like one day we'll do music and dance, then read books, play with her indoor 'big" toys like her Rody horse or Rocket. Then she usually takes a 2-3 hour nap. After that we watch the doodlebops or another toddler shows for a little while. The next day we may mix it up and do other activities like play with the dogs, do "exercises", fold clothes (she loves it), play catch, and much more unique games we make up. Crafts are a big thing too.
    mommy030507

Answer by mommy030507 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• It is cold here (Michigan), but we do try to get out at least once a day. There is a lot of things to do if you know where to look... we use our library a lot. We go to storytime, and go about once a week to pick out new books and a movie (we make snacks and have a picnic while watching it). We also go to the mall by us, it has a great little play area for kids and it really wears her out. We go to a the local YMCA and take a tumbling class, and also use their indoor pool. We also try to have friends over at least once a week, it is funny how differently they play with other children than they do with their parents. When we are at home we do a lot of drawing, playing with stickers, reading, making forts, and dancing.
    jojov70

Answer by jojov70 at 1:11 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• try to set up playdate at someone house or at your house. go to indoor play area

I try to set up play date with my friend son every week so my daughter doesn't drive me up the wall..
    You can always teach him things and make up games
    mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2009