Help in getting 5 month old on a better schedule......

I need help in getting my 5 month old on a better waking schedule for feedings......he's up way too much, way too close together, and I am exhausted......

He is sleeping worse than he did when he was a newborn....he's up 3 times a night every 1 1/2 to 2 hours and then at 5:30 even if he only went back to sleep 45 minutes before....and its hell trying to get him back to sleep after that. I miss that days of 1:30 and 4:30 AM wake ups with quick and easy 20 minutes nursing sessions then up at 7AM for the day....

We used to think it was because he wasnt getting a good bedtime nursing schedule in before of a tounge tie- but he had surgery 3 weeks ago now and it nursing better before bedtime getting in a pretty good feeding.

Currently he wakes at 10 PM before I go to bed (this one is our fault- we were getting him up to feed him hoping it would help top him off....now he wakes on his own), then 12:30-1:00 (sometimes 2:00...but rare) then almost every 1 1/2-2 hours thereafter once we get back to bed after nursing. And even if we get back into bed at say 4:30 AM....he's up at 5:30 screaming again. I try and co sleep after that which sometimes works, sometimes doesnt and I am too small breasted to feed in him bed while I sleep very comfortably for either of us.

I'd not mind that 10 PM feeding staying for now as long as I can get him down to one other feeding during the night. He is currently still with us in our room as he cant share a room with his older brother until hes sleeping through the night.... I have tried even putting the pack and play in the walk in closet thinking hes too close by to me and smells me all night- and that didnt work either.

He still doesn't take a bottle either-so i am the only one who ever gets up. Help!

-one very very exhausted momnma.

oh and to add....he goes down for a nap 7:30-8 am for 2-3 hours....its his best and longest nap of the day

stephanieplante

Asked by stephanieplante at 6:44 AM on May. 15, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds to me like he is not getting enough to eat. Or it might be because he just had surgery. He might still be in pain or uncomfortable.

Answer by louise2 at 7:21 AM on May. 15, 2012

• he was like that before too..oh and he goes to bed at 7 PM- I would try to make it later....but hes just so tired by then
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 8:01 AM on May. 15, 2012

• Could you nurse him more during the day? Or could he starts solids? He could be hungry or I think sometimes babies get in a routine of waking in the night not because they are hungry but because that is what their bodies are use to doing. My daughter went through this and I started going in and trying to get her back to sleep without getting her out of the crib. And we bought her a baby einstein fish aquarium that goes on the crib and sometimes all I would have to do is put her pacifier back in and turn that on and she would go back to sleep. Does he take an afternoon nap? If so, what time is that? Could you move that back and maybe he would stay awake longer at night?
    saysmom

Answer by saysmom at 8:11 AM on May. 15, 2012

• hes on solids- has been for a month now...and I think you are right thats his body is just used to getting up...i just dont know how to re-set his clock. i could try for a later nap but since I drive for a school district and he comes with me hes at the mercy of my schedule..
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 8:16 AM on May. 15, 2012

• Maybe he's going through a growth spurt right now and that's why he's nursing so often. If there's one thing I've learned so far from my DD is that the sleep schedule is NEVER consistent!
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 8:26 AM on May. 15, 2012

• If he wakes too soon after a feeding (anything shorter than 3-4 hours, for example) then have dad get up with him to soothe him back to sleep. It works well for friends of ours. That mom got a good pair of earplugs. Lights low/off and dad does just soothing, nothing else.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:41 AM on May. 15, 2012

• whitepeppers- I might have to do that and with hubby out of work I just might try it. maybe we'll start with getting the 10 PM feeding eliminated. I was able to sooth him once without feeding him at that time and he went back to sleep till almost 2. I went to bed shortly after so that was a nice strecth of sleep for me. I am so beyond exhausted right now. its not even funny
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 9:30 AM on May. 15, 2012

• Yes, that is another thing I didnt mention. Let the dad go in and do the getting back to sleep. My daughter was more apt to go back to sleep with him. They associate us with the breastfeeding/feedings. And I would pick her up quicker than my hubby.
    saysmom

Answer by saysmom at 11:14 AM on May. 15, 2012

• Hmm. Was he doing this waking before the solids were introduced? Because solids can lead to more waking! Certainly was the case here.

Make sure you nurse first, solids after, and no solids at all for about 2 hours before bed. The sugars in solids change blood sugar levels and when those drop... BOING! Baby is awake!

Answer by gdiamante at 11:32 AM on May. 15, 2012

• I alweays nurse first before feeding him- and this was going on a whole month before solids were introduced- and we started early because of his poor weight gain due to the tounge tie. we'll try having hubby soothe noah back to sleep first before I go and feed him...anything so we can both eventually start getting more sleep. I am hoping that we can reprogram his internal clock to wake only once and then maybe I wont mind getting up at 5:30 so much...except for the fact that if my 4 year old knows im up he'll wanna be up too but thats a whole other ball park lol.
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 11:55 AM on May. 15, 2012