• In the Spotlight:

My dd has temper tantrums, they are getting better but I still need advice on how to handle them.

She took a fit over the wrong kind of juice in the refrigerator one day and used to flip out whenever I left even if I snuck out of the house and left her with my mil who lives with us. She is always fighting with her brother, she teases him and vice versa and they go back in forth screaming until someone ends up crying usually my dd.

littlecaymanite

Asked by littlecaymanite at 11:16 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's a power struggle. Your best bet is when she's acting out like that, send her to her room and don't feed into the tantrum. As long as you pay attention and react to it, she will continue to do it. It sounds difficult, I know. This is what I do with my son: when he starts having a fit, I tell him to go to his room and not come out until he can smile. In his room he can scream and carry on all he wants, but I'm not "forced" to listen to it. Initially it took around 30-45 minutes now, he goes in and within seconds it's over. Tantrums are inevitable, it's how you handle them that determines how often and how long. If you don't feed into it, it will stop.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 11:20 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Oh mama I've been there that's 4sure!! I know how you feel. It does get a little better as the grow up. I'm having a hard time with Gracie(6) right now too. Last night I went to Walmart and bought a pack of lil circle stickers(got them where they have the crayons and markers) I'm going to put a sticker on the calendar each day that she has a good day and at the end of the week she can reach in this cute little valentines bag I bought and grab a slip of paper. I wrote on each slips of paper a different treat, like go get a ice cream cone or go to MickyDees Playland, go to the children museum, ect. She is soo excited about the whole thing and I got the teacher in on it too! Wish me luck and I'll do the same for u!!
    supermom_1969

Answer by supermom_1969 at 12:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

•  I read a book called I break for Meltdowns... It really helped me with my three year old. He hardly ever throws a fit anymore!!

prettypaws

Answer by prettypaws at 4:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Make sure you're offering her choices and preparing her for transitions (don't sneak out, tell her that you are leaving and that she will be staying - she can make good choices and maybe you can play extra with her when you get back, or she can make bad choices and have a tantrum and be miserable - but it's HER choice). If she does have a tantrum, let her know that you understand why she's angry or upset, help her find an appropriate way to express her emotion (hitting pillows, screaming in her room or outside...whatever you choose) and let her know that you can talk to her when she's calm - make sure she knows what "calm" means practically speaking. Then talk about what set her off and how it can be handled differently next time.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 11:16 PM on Jan. 28, 2009