What can I use that I hahve already on my icy sidewalk besides salt?

I need to go somewhere and My sidewalk and yard is frozen solid. It is slippery and wet ice and I have already used all the salt I have. Now what? Can I use something else? Will hot water help? I don't have a shovel so I will be using a spoon or spatula or something.

AmandaI1021

Asked by AmandaI1021 at 11:16 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Around here I see people use sand.. do you have anything like that? I know it's the same here. I cannot get outta my garage. Last week we were in Northern Indiana.. I saw this awesome snow shovel that actually was a type of snow blower.. I wish now that I would have bought that... I would be the hit of my neighborhood right now.. Probably could be racking up the money from neighbors today!!!!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:26 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I heard on the news yesterday that you can use baking soda if you don't have any salt
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• You will have to buy it but that "driveway heat" stuff is AMAZING!!
    akbogan

Answer by akbogan at 12:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Hot water would quickly freeze. I've heard to use cat litter, but I've found that to be useless- it mashes right down and gets slippery, or it skitters across the ice. I agree about sand, or if you have a place near the house perhaps where the soil isn't frozen perhaps you could dig up some of that and put it on the ice.

Answer by Bmat at 4:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Do you have any extra potting soil or play yard sand? That could add traction. Or cat litter.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• table salt in large quantities works, along with sand adding some traction and ther is trace ammounts of salt in most sands so it helps both ways, but be carefull because when it all melts you'll have sand in your yard and i dont know if it'll affect your area or not. Cat litter just adds traction if you put a scoop behind your wheels because after is absorbs any water i'll turn into clay and become slippery. Dont use water at all, you'll just add to your problem from freezing slick right away. And if you have to use something in the home, the back of the hammer were you can pull a nail out with works better then a spoon. Plus you can just crunch up the walkway and driveway were your tires are to make it better traction for you instean of clearing it completly. I hope you get out and about safely.
    MommysZoo

Answer by MommysZoo at 7:36 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• cat litter or embers from a fireplace.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:03 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• baking soda, table salt, sand, kitty litter, DONT USE WATER!!! omg that would make it worse... good lcuk honey....
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:21 AM on Jan. 29, 2009