I need step-mom help, his mom and I get along great

I already asked a Q about the 'step-mom' approaching the 'mom' about parenting styles, most ansers are from the point of view that we dont get a long and that is not the case. We get a long great, she has sunday breakfast with us
(being all three kids and all three adults) regulary. I have my step-son every week day starting at 6:30am, I have breakfast with him, get him ready for school, get him home from school, do homework with him... He recently has been getting trouble in school for not keeping his hands to himself. I am the one who does most of the school interaction. Do I still just sit back????

AlishaK126

Asked by AlishaK126 at 11:20 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• If you and the mother get along and are both involved in his life I think you both have a say so in what happens. Of course bio mom should be the one to make the final call. I would simply go to her and say "this is what is happening and I think this approach would be good for him. What do you think?" She sounds like a good woman and I would continue your relationship. I am meeting my step sons mom for the first time this saturday. She never wanted to meet me and has not been involved in my SS's life. Now that she is wanting to get involved in his life again she is being more mature and willing to meet me. I hope if she sticks around this time to have a good friendly relationship with her. I think it is important to my SS mental health.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 11:29 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• No just talk to him about how important it is to keep our hand himself in school. Another thing is if you don't feel comfortable about it talk to his and explain the situation sence you two get along great in all. Ask her to help you out with the situation. I would bring it to her attention.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• It sounds like you two (along with dad) should come together and talk about it and come up with some sort of plan. I get along good with our daughter's bio-mom 99% of the time so I'm real comfortable voiceing my opinion on what I think should be done. Sometimes I let dad handle things just cause I feel like he's better able to but that's good that you all can work together..it sure makes it a lot easier.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 12:39 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• since you guys get along so great I think you all should sit down and discuss what's agreeable for punishment and what not. All parents active in a child's life should be on the same page.
    .
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Next time the three of your are together you could just say, "Hey, teacher told me xyz about sonnyboy. Is there anything you guys would specifically like me to do about it?"

Put the ball in their court where it belongs. :)
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 2:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2009