teaching a toddler to swim?

my df has a pool at his house and it has no fence around it so it worries me a little bit. my dd will be 18 months when they open in, and ive heard you can start teaching them to swim after a year. i was just wondering if anyone else has heard that. and i was also wondering how you would go about teaching a toddler to swim?

xhellxfirex495

Asked by xhellxfirex495 at 11:23 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• o ya, and shes not affraid of the pool, she loves it. she likes to be in her little floaty raft.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I used to teach swimming lessons, and we didn't accept kids into formal lessons until they were 3. You could probably find someone who would work one-on-one with her, though, if you're willing to pay. Teaching her to float might be a good option at this point.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• At that age I'd do a mommy and me swimming class at the YMCA or something.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 12:17 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My child is just over 2 years, and we have been able to teach her to float, doggie-paddle, and kick her feet. We started in the bathtub, and as she got more confident moved to the pool. My primary word of adice is NOT to tell your child she is swimming - you don't want an overconfident tot running into the pool!
    HerbalMom764

Answer by HerbalMom764 at 1:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2009