Help 9 mth old sleep through the night???

He sleeps good for awhile then wakes up screaming at 11, he seems in pain or starving so I started giving him a bottle again. He wakes up again at 5:30 for a bottle. I need to eliminate one of these feedings...which one should go first and how?

lauralii99

Asked by lauralii99 at 11:25 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try to get rid of the 11pm feeding. With his bottle at bedtime, put in a little rice cereal.........it will fill him up a little more.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 11:25 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Well the let them cry it out works for a lot of people. Or at the 11 feeding just go in and comfort him and possibly rock him back to sleep until he stops waking up. If he's waking up at apx the same time every night then he's doing it out of habit, not hunger.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 11:26 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Well, make sure he has a good, filling dinner and a bottle not too long before bed. My nine month old gets dinner at 5:30 and a bottle at 6:30 (8-10 oz) and bathtime is 7:30, bedtime 8:00. She doesn't get up until 7:00 am the next morning. She, however, also wakes up in the middle of the night...several times. Babies go through sleep cycles just like we do and need to put themselves back to sleep when they wake up in the night. Very often, my daughter will wake up screaming, then cry for a minute and then settle back down and go back to sleep. So, I would suggest that you not rush in at 11:00. Give him some time to see if he can settle himself back down. If he can't after 15 minutes or so...go in there and calm him down, but don't feed him in the middle of the night. If he gets used to eating at 11:00 pm, then hunger will come to call at that time. Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:51 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• We had this same problem with my daughter. Part of the problem was that we had gotten in the habit of putting her to bed when she was already asleep- so she wasn't learning to put herself to sleep. So when she would wake up in the middle of the night- she couldn't put herself back to sleep without our help. We started putting her to bed when she was still awake (but drowsy). She cries a little- then falls asleep. She also stopped waking up in the middle of the night. THe first few nights of doing this- the crying went on for a while. I hate sitting there listening to her- but she needs to know how to go to sleep on her own. Now, last night- she cried for under 1 minute and passed out. THen she slept through the night! We're all happier with our sleep!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2009