When did you...?

start putting your baby in a walker or jumperoo? My little girl is only 2 months old, but she loves to stand up. We try to limit her standing up as much as possible, but she just gets angry with us when we sit her down... so some of our friends suggested that we get her a walker or jumperoo and let her play in them for a little while each day... but my concern is that she may be too young...she has very strong legs, and would stand forever at a time if we'd let her! So my question to you all is when did you do it? if at all. Any other suggestions?

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 11:29 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Everything I've read has said do not keep them from what they love especially if it can strengthen them and help them developmentally. It looks like you've got a strong baby on your hands. I say, put her in that jumperoo but watch her carefully for a couple weeks to make sure her head is strong enough. If its not, you'll know immediately,,,but a little time in that thing could probably strengthen her neck and get her sitting up earlier. Thats sort of the way we got our guy to sit up so early except we used a bumbo chair.
    lauralii99

Answer by lauralii99 at 11:36 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Two months might be a little young. We started our daughter at about 4 1/2 mo. but I think she was a little young even then. It has more to do with whether they can situp on their own yet. They have to have the back strength to not collapse when they're seated in one of those things. Even at 4 1/2 mo, we had to put a pillow behind our daughter so that she didn't wiggle around uncontrollably.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• She holds her head up great already! lol, and we use our bumbo chair, but like I said the little toot hates sitting down! I just don't know what to do! I'm worried that standing so much may make her bowlegged...Has anyone ever heard that?
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 11:40 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• We started around 4 months, and even then it was really too big for my smaller twin. At 2 months I'd be concerned about back and neck muscle development, so if you do decide to try it watch that closely. If she slumps down in it or her head bobs around she probably isn't quite ready yet.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:43 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Like ANGIE said, its really too soon. Her back and neck muscles are not strong enough yet to be able to control herself in the jumparoo, and as far as the walker, I tried to find one for my daughter at about 4 months, and they were all too tall for her. I understand your frustration, my daughter loved to stand up too, but at that age they are just too young. Sorry!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:44 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I don't know about it making them bow-legged, but I have heard that using it too much can slow down learning to walk.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:45 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I would say she is probably too young. You could get the walker and jumparoo and try it and if you think she's too young you can just save them for when she's a little older.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 11:47 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• When she is ready, she will stand! My daughter walked and didn't crawl. She liked the jumpy chair you hang in the doorway but there is probably something safer these days. DO NOT use a walker! My younger one was one of those kids who went to look down a staircase and...she is fine and wasn't hurt but I still hear the sound of her and the walker heading down a flight of steps. I wouldn't ever allow it again and I always warn about them. You hear how they are "death machines" but you don't really believe it. BELIEVE IT! I am so fortunate she wasn't hurt permanently.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 11:47 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I started my son at 8 weeks. he loves it. He was the same way wanted to stand and bounce and hated to be laying down or sittng.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 12:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• The bowlegged concern is just an old wives tale. Letting her stand too much will not make her bowlegged. If she likes to stand while you're holding her...let her. It develops muscle tone.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2009