Is it normal for your breasts to be 2 different sizes when breast feeding?

If it was just a small difference then I wouldn't be worried, but my right breast is a D and my left is barely filling out a B cup. I've been breastfeeding for 4 weeks, both are producing and the larger one isn't engorged because it's not hard or sore. It just produces a lot more for some reason. Is there a way to slow it down? Or maybe a way to get my left one to catch up to the right (two Ds would be awesome but right now I'd be ok if they were both Bs lol). I switch breast every 15 minutes when I feed and start out on the one I finished with last time, so I'm not sure what else to do.

lukebelle

Asked by lukebelle at 11:52 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine have slowly become two different sizes while breastfeeding. It is very normal. I was watching the show "The Doctors" the other day, and the woman doc on there had a question about this and she said that they will most likely not go back to the same size after breastfeeding and that the only solution is surgery! I'm still holding out hope that they will go back to normal after I'm done breastfeeding though!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• You could try pumping the smaller one to see if you can stimulate the milk production?
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Yes, it is normal. It is likely that your baby has a preference for the larger one over the smaller one and likely sucks harder and longer on the larger one. So...always start her on the smaller one as she will be the most hungry at the beginning of a feeding. Make sure that breast is drained completely as this is the best way to stimulate more milk production. Finish on the larger one and don't worry too much about draining this breast completely. Hopefully in a week or so, they will sort of even out and you can go back to switching between which breast is first at each feeding. If they haven't evened out, you could just make it a habit to pump the smaller breast for 10-15 minutes after each feeding to help stimulate more milk.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:08 PM on Jan. 28, 2009